What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

On the flip side, it seems you would do anything for money.

What a lot of people are saying is that money isn't everything, especially when you're already making $3mm per year. MT's lifestyle is not going to change (or at least it shouldn't) by increasing that to $5.5mm. His kids will inherit more money, though. Maybe that's important to him. It's not important to me.

Maybe he invests into a Ponzi scheme 🤷🏼‍♀️

Going from 14.75 to what 33 million is massive, you know this given your line of work.

Say the 15 was all he ever got - that is him never needing to work again, his kid's education and future being put into a good spot and taking care of a few people close to you, plus enough to live comfortably on for the rest of his life. Its nice money but it ain't 33 million.

33m is your family taken care of, your kids getting the best of everything and never having to pay for schools, it's your grandkids' education getting paid for, its whatever house you want and a second one, and its enough cash you likely can do most of that without having to touch the principle in your investments. It does change your lifestyle, and your kids and really a lot of people anywhere near you. Your buying your parents houses, setting up your kids

Going from 14.75 to what 33 million is massive, you know this given your line of work.

Say the 15 was all he ever got - that is him never needing to work again, his kid's education and future being put into a good spot and taking care of a few people close to you, plus enough to live comfortably on for the rest of his life. Its nice money but it ain't 33 million.

33m is your family taken care of, your kids getting the best of everything and never having to pay for schools, it's your grandkids' education getting paid for, its whatever house you want and a second one, and its enough cash you likely can do most of that without having to touch the principle in your investments. It does change your lifestyle, and your kids and really a lot of people anywhere near you. Your buying your parents houses, setting up your kids
Even if he bombed at CU, he could always go back to the NFL or be a college coordinator. The CU contract was never going to be his last unless he wants it to be.

You can do all that stuff you talk about with ~$10mm in the bank. He would almost be there after this CU contract, assuming he invests wisely and doesn't have a spending problem.

I can tell you that my lifestyle is the same whether I'm making $200k or a multiple of that (and as a business owner, I've made less than that in a year and I've made a lot more than that in a year). But I don't have extravagant tastes. Maybe MT does?

On the flip side, it seems you would do anything for money.

What a lot of people are saying is that money isn't everything, especially when you're already making $3mm per year. MT's lifestyle is not going to change (or at least it shouldn't) by increasing that to $5.5mm. His kids will inherit more money, though. Maybe that's important to him. It's not important to me.
I am not saying I would do anything for money. You have misread me again. I am saying that MT was offered an absurd amount of money and an AC budget that was irresistible. It’s funny that capitalists like you and others grow morals when it comes to people you don’t like. That makes me sick.

There are plenty of coaches that delay taking some huge payday a year or two, Fickell did that exact thing. No one is denying that he should have been at Colorado for the next 10 years but leaving the way he did it after one year in mid February puts the program that gave you your first chance in a really rough spot.

There are plenty of coaches that delay taking some huge payday a year or two, Fickell did that exact thing. No one is denying that he should have been at Colorado for the next 10 years but leaving the way he did it after one year in mid-February puts the program that gave you your first chance in a really rough spot.

I'm not talking about how he left, jsut the merits of 15 vs 33

Man, I hope this thread dies soon.

Day 2. RG has moved on. Players have moved on. I’m moving to coaching search thread.

Can I get a **** you?
Sorry, been in class all day and late to the game.
**** you!

Last edited:
I'm not talking about how he left, jsut the merits of 15 vs 33
Yeah obviously that means a lot to some people, others probably don't care as much. Chris Peterson could have probably made $2.5 million more a year than what he was making at Washington, Wittingham could probably make another $2 million over what he is making at Utah. Hell, Cristobal could make atleast double what he is at Oregon. Then you have guys that jump around for huge paydays. It all depends.

Im not sure if I was more surprised that MSU wanted MT enough to throw that kind of offer at him, or that MT has been so damn phony this whole time. I usually have a pretty good bull**** detector, but MT made me believe he wanted to build something special here with our kids. He really has a unique talent for deception.

I am not saying I would do anything for money. You have misread me again. I am saying that MT was offered an absurd amount of money and an AC budget that was irresistible. It’s funny that capitalists like you and others grow morals when it comes to people you don’t like. That makes me sick.
Why don't I like Tucker? I loved him when he was here and am not mad that he left. I'm only mad about the way in which he left, as well as the timing. Those things took the wind out of my sails when it comes to supporting MT. But do I wish he was still here? Absolutely.

I'm merely pointing out that for a lot of people (including me and, among others, Tad Boyle), money isn't everything. We all know for a fact Tad has been courted several times for higher profile jobs, but he's still in Boulder. Why is that?

Why don't I like Tucker? I loved him when he was here and am not mad that he left. I'm only mad about the way in which he left, as well as the timing. Those things took the wind out of my sails when it comes to supporting MT. But do I wish he was still here? Absolutely.

I'm merely pointing out that for a lot of people (including me and, among others, Tad Boyle), money isn't everything. We all know for a fact Tad has been courted several times for higher profile jobs, but he's still in Boulder. Why is that?
Tad Boyle isn’t ambitious. He doesn’t want to play the top level game. He’s a boy scout. That’s why he hasn’t left. Expectations are low at Colorado.

Tad Boyle isn’t ambitious. He doesn’t want to play the top level game. He’s a boy scout. That’s why he hasn’t left. Expectations are low at Colorado.
Lulz. Tad is hands down the best coach CU has ever seen (at least in my lifetime) and it's not even close. I forgot about you hating Tad. Should have used another person. How about Luke Fickell? Why did he say no to the offer that MT had to say yes to?

I almost responded to this argument a few times yesterday, but thought I'd avoid it and let it die.

#Checks back, not dead yet.

So, here's my view. Everyone involved in this argument agrees more than they think IMHO. The gist of the bigger issue that most people seem to have with Mel leaving is how he left. Committing to the CU program, and then leaving. @manhattanbuf agrees with that perspective, but also (justifiably so), is pointing out that no one in their right mind would turn down $18 MILLION dollars and a boat load of additional resources to do a job they love.

It's all about context. He is a football coach, he has worked in this profession for 25 years. One thing you know, when you get into coaching in CFB is that you better be prepared to move your family around a lot, and not see your family barely ever except for a month or two out of the year. You also see your peers get screwed by their employers every now and then. You also get used to your employer making demands on you, boosters making demands on you, crazy parents making demands, entitled kids making demands or having their hands out. It is part of the J.O.B. and as time goes by, these interactions probably change your perspective on the profession a bit.

MT has moved his family around a lot. He is going to one more school (which he is familiar with), and making enough money that will change his life, and his kids lives, and his grand kids lives if he so chooses. People who make the kind of money MT was making here, lead a different lifestyle. Making twice as much doesn't necessarily change your lifestyle, but it does ensure that you will have that same lifestyle for the rest of your life. That is important.

Coaches are also hyper competitive by nature, and don't kid yourself, MT moved to MSU for the money, but also because he would have everything he needs there (in his mind) to win a national championship.

On the flip side, he committed to stay, and then left. If I committed to stay at CU, I would stay, live up to my word, get a nice raise at CU, and try to make up the difference later on. But I say that through the lens of a normal guy that loves CU, not a guy who worked here for one year. I also say that knowing that I would be very concerned about how parents, players, and peers who don't understand the business would look at me differently when I left...that would bother me. It seemed to me that It was bothering MT yesterday too.

Now, If I was a football coach at let's say, UC Berkeley, and I faced the same situation....I would hope that I would handle the situation better than MT did, but if didn't....I would have a super tough decision to make. Stay and keep my honor in the eyes of the team I am working for, or bolt and capture an amount of money that I might not ever see again, and hope that I can repair my reputation as time goes by....preferably by treating people right and winning a NC. I would feel awful.

MT bolting hurt some feelings and put CU in a tough spot, but it isn't like he is really truly harming anyone...not enough to justify turning down that kind of money, being closer to his family, and having the resources you need to win a NC. I don't begrudge him, and in a like kind situation I would take the money for the betterment of my family, and (hopefully) my career. It's a job, a really cool job, but it's still a job. My loyalty is to my family and my career. I think if everyone truly understood what the CFB coaching profession was like, they'd see his move a little differently.

TL;DR You'd take the money too

Last edited:
Lulz. Tad is hands down the best coach CU has ever seen (at least in my lifetime) and it's not even close. I forgot about you hating Tad. Should have used another person. How about Luke Fickell? Why did he say no to the offer that MT had to say yes to?
No NCAA tournament for 3 straight years. luckily, we’ve gotten old and have a competitive team finally.

Did Fickell get the same offer MT received? I think It’s reasonable to assume MT’s agent may have ginned up the negotiations to get a grand slam offer. Maybe Fickell is waiting for another job. Maybe he doesn’t want to move to Michigan. Maybe he’s not ambitious either.

I almost responded to this argument a few times yesterday, but thought I'd avoid it and let it die.

#Checks back, not dead yet.

So, here's my view. Everyone involved in this argument agrees more than they think IMHO. The gist of the bigger issue that most people seem to have with Mel leaving is how he left. Committing to the CU program, and then leaving. @manhattanbuf agrees with that perspective, but also (justifiably so), is pointing out that no one in their right mind would turn down $18 MILLION dollars and a boat load of additional resources to do a job they love.

It's all about context. He is a football coach, he has worked in this profession for 25 years. One thing you know, when you get into coaching in CFB is that you better be prepared to move your family around a lot, and not see your family barely ever except for a month or two out of the year. You also see your peers get screwed by their employers every now and then. You also get used to your employer making demands on you, boosters making demands on you, crazy parents making demands, entitled kids making demands or having their hands out. It is part of the J.O.B. and as time goes by, these interactions probably change your perspective on the profession a bit.

MT has moved his family around a lot. He is going to one more school (which he is familiar with), and making enough money that will change his life, and his kids lives, and his grand kids lives if he so chooses. People who make the kind of money MT was making here, lead a different lifestyle. Making twice as much doesn't necessarily change your lifestyle, but it does ensure that you will have that same lifestyle for the rest of your life. That is important.

Coaches are also hyper competitive by nature, and don't kid yourself, MT moved to MSU for the money, but also because he would have everything he needs there (in his mind) to win a national championship.

On the flip side, he committed to stay, and then left. If I committed to stay at CU, I would stay, live up to my word, get a nice raise at CU, and try to make up the difference later on. But I say that through the lens of a normal guy that loves CU, not a guy who worked here for one year. I also say that knowing that I would be very concerned about how parents, players, and peers who don't understand the business would look at me differently when I left...that would bother me. It seemed to me that It was bothering MT yesterday too.

Now, If I was a football coach at let's say, UC Berkeley, and I faced the same situation....I would hope that I would handle the situation better than MT did, but if didn't....I would have a super tough decision to make. Stay and keep my honor in the eyes of the team I am working for, or bolt and capture an amount of money that I might not ever see again, and hope that I can repair my reputation as time goes by....preferably by treating people right and winning a NC. I would feel awful.

MT bolting hurt some feelings and put CU in a tough spot, but it isn't like he is really truly harming anyone...not enough to justify turning down that kind of money, being closer to his family, and having the resources you need to win a NC. I don't begrudge him, and in a like kind situation I would take the money for the betterment of my family, and (hopefully) my career. It's a job, a really cool job, but it's still a job. My loyalty is to my family and my career. I think if everyone truly understood what the CFB coaching profession was like, they'd see his move a little differently.

TL;DR You'd take the money too

I was hoping for more out of those 7,000 words, if I'm honest.

It's not merely about "committing and then leaving" -- it's specifically HOW he went about committing (lying) to everyone. Of course everyone understands the larger dilemma -- but how do you treat people on your way out? What does your word mean? Can you look someone in the eye and deliver difficult news to them?

TL;DR - Of course we'd all take the money. But you'd hope you'd act with more integrity throughout the process.

Just gonna keep reminding you that you are out of touch with reality on this subject when you bring it up.
No need to remind me that you have low expectations here. I am even good with 75% NCAA appearances. We’re working on 25% this year presuming no epic collapses between now and selection Sunday.

No need to remind me that you have low expectations here. I am even good with 75% NCAA appearances. We’re working on 25% this year presuming no epic collapses between now and selection Sunday.
1) you suck at math.
2) nice to see you moderating your expectations down to a top 25 out of 360 programs

I was hoping for more out of those 7,000 words, if I'm honest.

It's not merely about "committing and then leaving" -- it's specifically HOW he went about committing (lying) to everyone. Of course everyone understands the larger dilemma -- but how do you treat people on your way out? What does your word mean? Can you look someone in the eye and deliver difficult news to them?

TL;DR - Of course we'd all take the money. But you'd hope you'd act with more integrity throughout the process.
I am sorry that I didn't deliver any insight to you about what actually happened during this whole process with my post, but thanks for reading. The fact of the matter is, no one knows how this went down exactly. You assume he was lying the whole time, I think he was shocked by getting the final offer, it had a short fuse on it, and he had to make a quick decision....but I don't know that for sure, and neither do you. Point being, your scenario assumes he was lying the whole time as part of some elaborate nefarious scheme, mine assumes he was not. Neither one of us knows what is true. My 7,000 words was from my perspective with my assumptions of what happened.

I can tell you one thing though, not a single person in the Champions Center, not one, knew he was talking to MSU after he publicly committed to CU, until he resigned. I think that says something about how it happened.

Last edited:
1) you suck at math.
2) nice to see you moderating your expectations down to a top 25 out of 360 programs
College bball and Colorado as a basketball program have changed A LOT since we’ve moved to the substantially weakened P12. My expectations exist because Colorado plays in a bad conference and supposedly has a great coach.

Back