What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Oh boy

gHhEQL.mp4

I'm not the one taking shots at the coaching staff before we've seen this team play a game........
But for sake of intellectual honesty, let’s admit this is not the HC - nor likely staff - RG wanted. And I suspect his expectations for 21 recruiting might have been higher as well.

In the end, he didn’t do what it took to get his top two choices. I’m not sure that’s incompetence (unless it is a part of a bigger pattern) but, at a minimum, it’s a large failure.

JMHO.

Okay then. Age old question-who do you replace him with?
There are plenty of people that have the experience or qualifications necessary to be an AD. Do I know them by name? No, that’s not my world. But an AD job is not as hard to fill as a HC job. But what I know of how he handled the past couple head coaches/contracts etc. I know I, personally, would like to move on to a new AD.

Whenever we are looking at hiring a new AD, the first call I would make would be to Matt Russell. His wife played VB here, and they both LOVE Colorado, and specifically Boulder. I think he would do great in Boulder

Whenever we are looking at hiring a new AD, the first call I would make would be to Matt Russell. His wife played VB here, and they both LOVE Colorado, and specifically Boulder. I think he would do great in Boulder
Seems like RG is developing Lance Carl.

Good to see that being a former Buff isn’t just a prerequisite for head coach.
GMAB. It would be one thing if we were talking about hiring a guy that isn't qualified, but Matt brings everything the CUAD would need to the table.....and he happens to also be a Buff.

Plus, it's not like we're actually hiring a new AD any time soon

I like Russell as much as the next guy, but it seems to me that his qualifications consist of being Elway’s gopher for the last 8 or so years.
I am not going to debate this with the group, because I understand the proclivity to want to avoid former Buffs given our history...but I'll just lay out my case and be done with it.

Matt has been a CFB scout, or run the scouting dept at several successful NFL franchises over the years. He knows just about every head football coach from coast to coast. He is trusted by the coaching community. He knows talent, on and off the football field. He knows the value of recruiting. He has seen what programs are run well, and which ones are not...and why. He is football centric. He is widely appreciated as a very engaging personality. He knows contracts. He knows agents.

I am not going to debate this with the group, because I understand the proclivity to want to avoid former Buffs given our history...but I'll just lay out my case and be done with it.

Matt has been a CFB scout, or run the scouting dept at several successful NFL franchises over the years. He knows just about every head football coach from coast to coast. He is trusted by the coaching community. He knows talent, on and off the football field. He knows the value of recruiting. He has seen what programs are run well, and which ones are not...and why. He is football centric. He is widely appreciated as a very engaging personality. He knows contracts. He knows agents.
I am writing him in for President!

But for sake of intellectual honesty, let’s admit this is not the HC - nor likely staff - RG wanted. And I suspect his expectations for 21 recruiting might have been higher as well.

In the end, he didn’t do what it took to get his top two choices. I’m not sure that’s incompetence (unless it is a part of a bigger pattern) but, at a minimum, it’s a large failure.

JMHO.

There are plenty of people that have the experience or qualifications necessary to be an AD. Do I know them by name? No, that’s not my world. But an AD job is not as hard to fill as a HC job. But what I know of how he handled the past couple head coaches/contracts etc. I know I, personally, would like to move on to a new AD.

@hawg1-Even Dorrell knew he wasn't on Rick George's initial list. Listen to him tell the story about how he got this job in the first place.

A couple of things to respond to both you guys-I think RG has swung and missed at least once through in both his searches-I'll break it down this way.

Post MacIntyre-I think Ryan Day was the guy RG really wanted. Urban agrees to step down (which seemed......sudden) and Day gets promoted there. I think Tucker was probably the fallback guy-and RG knew he had no leverage.........ergo low buyout and he's coaching in the Big 10 a little over a year later.

Post Tucker-I didn't read anything that led me to believe EB even came close to considering leaving the Chiefs to take this job (and he agreed to interview for it out of respect for Rick and Lance). Correct me if I'm wrong-just going out of what I know. As far as EB, I've always thought he knows he's got it good enough in Kansas City to where he doesn't have to look at a gig like the Jets or Broncos. Frankly, I think he's the new coach in either Atlanta or Houston in December.

The flirtation with Sarkisian was an epic disaster, and it scared RG to the point that he hired Karl Dorrell.

I like Dorrell a lot-I think he's a high character guy, and I think he can get this program over the 5-7 hump. I thought he did a good job putting the staff together-he kept everybody we were hoping would stay (I think Kaplovic had agreed to follow Tucker to East Lansing before KD took this job) when he got here. A lot of the hires he made to fill the staff are solid in my mind-I'll judge Taylor Embree on what he does recruiting.....and I thought the Mitch Rodrigue hire was curious. Demetrice Martin's one of the best recruiters on the west coast-and grabbing him now was a huge get. Chris Wilson's got a hell of a resume. Langsdorf's a solid QB coach, and hopefully a guy who help Chev grow as a playcaller.

I'm still very intrigued-and looking forward to watching next Saturday night.

@hawg1-Even Dorrell knew he wasn't on Rick George's initial list. Listen to him tell the story about how he got this job in the first place.

A couple of things to respond to both you guys-I think RG has swung and missed at least once through in both his searches-I'll break it down this way.

Post MacIntyre-I think Ryan Day was the guy RG really wanted. Urban agrees to step down (which seemed......sudden) and Day gets promoted there. I think Tucker was probably the fallback guy-and RG knew he had no leverage.........ergo low buyout and he's coaching in the Big 10 a little over a year later.

Post Tucker-I didn't read anything that led me to believe EB even came close to considering leaving the Chiefs to take this job (and he agreed to interview for it out of respect for Rick and Lance). Correct me if I'm wrong-just going out of what I know. As far as EB, I've always thought he knows he's got it good enough in Kansas City to where he doesn't have to look at a gig like the Jets or Broncos. Frankly, I think he's the new coach in either Atlanta or Houston in December.

The flirtation with Sarkisian was an epic disaster, and it scared RG to the point that he hired Karl Dorrell.

I like Dorrell a lot-I think he's a high character guy, and I think he can get this program over the 5-7 hump. I thought he did a good job putting the staff together-he kept everybody we were hoping would stay (I think Kaplovic had agreed to follow Tucker to East Lansing before KD took this job) when he got here. A lot of the hires he made to fill the staff are solid in my mind-I'll judge Taylor Embree on what he does recruiting.....and I thought the Mitch Rodrigue hire was curious. Demetrice Martin's one of the best recruiters on the west coast-and grabbing him now was a huge get. Chris Wilson's got a hell of a resume. Langsdorf's a solid QB coach, and hopefully a guy who help Chev grow as a playcaller.

Writing a wall of text is nice but you are approaching this from a a place of ignorance. You should check out barzil

Kinda funny how many people around here were leery about a potential EB hire (and some absolutely opposed to it), but now the failure to seal the deal with EB is being used as an indictment against Rick George. It’s very fair to question his performance as AD, but seems like a little talking from both sides of the mouth going on at this point.

Kinda funny how many people around here were leery about a potential EB hire (and some absolutely opposed to it), but now the failure to seal the deal with EB is being used as an indictment against Rick George. It’s very fair to question his performance as AD, but seems like a little talking from both sides of the mouth going on at this point.
I definitely was not opposed to hiring EB.

you are talking to Snow, you do realize that right? Mel withdrawals is not something that makes me think of Snow.

I know. The fact that we're all armchair quarterbacking this staff based on recruiting during all this COVID **** and 16 closed practices though.........COME ON.

But the elephant in the room is recruiting. And it looks terrible. One can only hope in the next couple of years they have substantial success on the field and it helps build recruit's attention to the program. We expected that with MikeMac after his one good year, but that never materialized, though.

Wtf, holy donkey heifers. You're out of your damn mind. You are like little kids with lollipops, 'switch out my lollipop mommy because I don't like this one right now'. Retain some semblance of even juvenile balance, or stfu, for ****'s sake.

I'm gonna have to say, for once, I'm on ahoelsken's side. ****ty recruiting is ****ty recruiting--it's not an indicator of other coaching necessities like game planning, game management, player inspiration, etc. Let's play a couple of games before we decide about this staff.

I can't speak for others, but any reservation I had about EB was when the HC job had Sark, Mora and others being mentioned. It is not talking out of both sides of your mouth to be sceptcial of the prospect of EB in that context, and then say it is a total flop when RG strikes out on EB and every other serious prospect and hires a coach nobody else would hire.

I can't speak for others, but any reservation I had about EB was when the HC job had Sark, Mora and others being mentioned. It is not talking out of both sides of your mouth to be sceptcial of the prospect of EB in that context, and then say it is a total flop when RG strikes out on EB and every other serious prospect and hires a coach nobody else would hire.
If the comment doesn’t apply to you, it probably wasn’t directed at you. Here’s one for you, though—is Jim Mora, Jr. really a hire that would have made you applaud Rick George?

Back