What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

JMJ is not, but Sark and EB would’ve been home run hires.
Yes, I remember some people here really being against EB because of what happened with Embree, which is completely ridiculous. He's arguably the hottest coaching candidate at any level of the sport, and somehow there were people who didn't want him at CU.

I think people assumed that because RG got a candidate like Tucker to come here, and allegedly had Ryan Day interested (I maintain Day was never seriously interested), that he would be able to pull another solid hire with no problem.

Holy **** I would be so pumped about this program right now if EB were in charge.

Yes, I remember some people here really being against EB because of what happened with Embree, which is completely ridiculous. He's arguably the hottest coaching candidate at any level of the sport, and somehow there were people who didn't want him at CU.

I think people assumed that because RG got a candidate like Tucker to come here, and allegedly had Ryan Day interested (I maintain Day was never seriously interested), that he would be able to pull another solid hire with no problem.

Holy **** I would be so pumped about this program right now if EB were in charge.
And it would be a great fit for Chev at OC. EB could mentor just like Reid did.

Hot candidate doesn't mean good candidate. Dorrell way more qualified than Embree unless Embree brings Reid or Mahomes.

I remember those critiques. I was not on that train. I believe EB has gotten a PhD level of HC training under Andy Reid.

My enthusiasm would’ve also been sky high if we had EB or Sark as our current HC. This is also why I am equally frustrated that the AD was so close to hiring upgrades from MT and then floundered when it came time to close.

If the comment doesn’t apply to you, it probably wasn’t directed at you. Here’s one for you, though—is Jim Mora, Jr. really a hire that would have made you applaud Rick George?
In a vacuum? No. Instead of HCKD, yeah.

Look, I want HCKD to succeed. I hope to dine on crow, but I don't see it. I really don't see making him the highest paid HC in CU history. I have my suspicion there is a reason his name has not been in serious contention anywhere since he was let go by fUCLA.

RG got dealt a bad hand by Melvin Huckster. But this is not a good outcome. Not even close. It is pre-season talk and starting in what, nine days, we will have some concrete results to begin determining who is right.

I have lost patience with a program that has been in free fall. CU has turned in crap results since 2005, save the miracle of 2016. I am in no mood to entertain the same BS rationale to wait another 3-5 years on some pie in the sky plan.

None of this is directed at you lawdogg, I am just venting in general.

Dorrell flat out said he didn't have interest in the CU job initially because of EB and his respect for EB. The coaching profession at this level (NFL & P5 HC's) are extremely tight so that stood out to me that he knew EB wanted the job, or at least had high interest.

I remember throwing out how exciting the Chiefs offense would be in college and was completely laughed out. No so funny now, ****ers!

If the comment doesn’t apply to you, it probably wasn’t directed at you. Here’s one for you, though—is Jim Mora, Jr. really a hire that would have made you applaud Rick George?
For me, given the situation and timing. Absolutely.

I know. The fact that we're all armchair quarterbacking this staff based on recruiting during all this COVID **** and 16 closed practices though.........COME ON.
Well everyone has had to deal with the COVID ****. I don't buy that as an excuse, everyone save the Alabama's and tOSU's of the world have been heavily affected. But you're telling me two coaching staffs were dead wrong about Noyer and this staff suddenly saw the light? One of those staffs even thought he would be more useful at Safety. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Well everyone has had to deal with the COVID ****. I don't buy that as an excuse, everyone save the Alabama's and tOSU's of the world have been heavily affected. But you're telling me two coaching staffs were dead wrong about Noyer and this staff suddenly saw the light? One of those staffs even thought he would be more useful at Safety. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Not everyone started recruiting 6 months late with no college relationships. 2020 is a pass. Judge 2021. Or blame RG for not hiring Urban Meyer or one of other 5 guys that could bring in great class on short notice.

Not everyone started recruiting 6 months late with no college relationships. 2020 is a pass. Judge 2021. Or blame RG for not hiring Urban Meyer or one of other 5 guys that could bring in great class on short notice.
Almost as if hiring someone that had no college relationships isn't the right move. Crazy, I know. That would be too level-headed of a move for CU.

Almost as if hiring someone that had no college relationships isn't the right move. Crazy, I know. That would be too level-headed of a move for CU.

giphy.gif

Lewis is the future of the program. Everybody knows that. I'd be pretty surprised if he's not starting against Arizona or Utah. Again though-I'm keeping an open mind on everything up there until I start seeing them go up against other teams.

Meh. If anyone has any information that KD and co. are basing the starting QB decision on anything other than the 15 or so practices they've run, please let us known.

There is no conspiracy. The QB who performed best while KD's been watching will start.

I agree. I do think that most of us feel that Lewis should have been getting as many first team reps as the others from the get go. Stashing him on second team and not even looking how he’d do with the first string is a mistake imo. It would appear they didn’t even give him a fair chance to be the guy from the get go

Meh. If anyone has any information that KD and co. are basing the starting QB decision on anything other than the 15 or so practices they've run, please let us known.

There is no conspiracy. The QB who performed best while KD's been watching will start.

I agree. I do think that most of us feel that Lewis should have been getting as many first team reps as the others from the get go. Stashing him on second team and not even looking how he’d do with the first string is a mistake imo. It would appear they didn’t even give him a fair chance to be the guy from the get go
It appears to me that they are treating him like an 18 year old QB who (like 95% of 18 year old QBs) aren't ready for the mental/physical demands of the most critical position in football

There is no doubt about that. I just wonder if the reason that Lewis didn’t look as good was because they were throwing too much at him. I prefer a reduced playoff with an athlete like lewis but I guess noyer is a good athlete at the qb position too as as long as they use that in their game plan and we see running read option and the RPO it would make more sense. If we just ask him to sit back there and pick apart defenses it is going to be ugly.

There is no doubt about that. I just wonder if the reason that Lewis didn’t look as good was because they were throwing too much at him. I prefer a reduced playoff with an athlete like lewis but I guess noyer is a good athlete at the qb position too as as long as they use that in their game plan and we see running read option and the RPO it would make more sense. If we just ask him to sit back there and pick apart defenses it is going to be ugly.
I have been as big of a critic as any, but I will throw this out there as food for thought. When installing a new offense, reps are just as important for everyone else on the offense, as they are for the QB. I have no inside info, but I am guessing that Lewis is still assimilating to the offense, and the coaches are not enthralled with limiting the playbook at the expense of the other 10 guys on offense. I prescribe to the idea that Lewis will play plenty this year, but he needs to have an offensive group around him that knows what the hell they're doing. If for nothing else, the role of Noyer in camp thus far makes a lot of sense for that reason (he seems mentally reliable, and he's a vet that will pick up the offense quickly, thereby benefiting the other 10 guys on the field). Hopefully the result is that Lewis comes in later, with a reduced set of plays, but an offensive group that is ready to grow the playbook with him, quickly.

Last edited:
I have been as big of a critic as any, but I will throw this out there as food for thought. When installing a new offense, reps are just as important for everyone else on the offense, as they are for the QB. I have no inside info, but I am guessing that Lewis is still assimilating to the offense, and the coaches are not inthralled with limiting the playbook at the expense of the other 10 guys on offense. I prescribe to the idea that Lewis will play plenty this year, but he needs to have an offensive group around him that knows what the hell they're doing. If for nothing else, the role of Noyer in camp thus far makes a lot of sense for that reason (he seems mentally reliable, and he's a vet that will pick up the offense quickly, thereby benefiting the other 10 guys on the field). Hopefully the result is that Lewis comes in later, with a reduced set of plays, but an offensive group that is ready to grow the playbook with him, quickly.
You sold me.

Back