What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

Am I the only one who sees the incongruency of arguing Noyer needs a cast around him to succeed, and establishing the other 10 guys offensively is a necessity for QB success, so CU should keep uber recruit Lewis under wraps for a while, and then argue all of CU's past offensive ineptitude is solely Montez' fault?

If he was so terrible what are the Redskins doing?

I get it, he underperformed relative to his talent, but most of the time he was running for his life.

JMO.
The Redskins are keeping a 6'5" 235 lb QB with good arm talent and 3 years of P5 starting experience on their practice squad as a 4th developmental QB option. Honestly, if you're a CFB player with that kind of playing experience at a P5 program and you have the physical attributes, making the practice squad isn't that big of a deal, particularly in a year when they are carrying double the amount of players on the PS as a normal year.

I don't blame Montez as the sole reason the Buffs went 5-7 for three straight seasons. He was a mediocre QB. Made some great plays during his time at CU, but also made some really bad plays. Last year in particular, he was a 5th year senior with a ton of experience and outside of Herbert, had arguably the best physical talent of any QB in the conference, and was a JAG.

Am I the only one who sees the incongruency of arguing Noyer needs a cast around him to succeed, and establishing the other 10 guys offensively is a necessity for QB success, so CU should keep uber recruit Lewis under wraps for a while, and then argue all of CU's past offensive ineptitude is solely Montez' fault?

If he was so terrible what are the Redskins doing?

I get it, he underperformed relative to his talent, but most of the time he was running for his life.

JMO.
I liked Montez, but he made bad decisions, wasn't accurate, and team was 5-7 every year. He has NFL tools, but far from great and debatably good college QB. A less skilled guy who makes good decisions could adequately fill his shoes.

The Redskins are keeping a 6'5" 235 lb QB with good arm talent and 3 years of P5 starting experience on their practice squad as a 4th developmental QB option. Honestly, if you're a CFB player with that kind of playing experience at a P5 program and you have the physical attributes, making the practice squad isn't that big of a deal, particularly in a year when they are carrying double the amount of players on the PS as a normal year.

I don't blame Montez as the sole reason the Buffs went 5-7 for three straight seasons. He was a mediocre QB. Made some great plays during his time at CU, but also made some really bad plays. Last year in particular, he was a 5th year senior with a ton of experience and outside of Herbert, had arguably the best physical talent of any QB in the conference, and was a JAG.

We make a bowl game last year if he was a JAG. He was somehow worse.

We make a bowl game last year if he was a JAG. He was somehow worse.
This.

Good Montez deserves to make an NFL squad (hence the practice squad) bad Montez was not a P5 starter. Unfortunately the last couple season we had more bad Montez games than good ones.

This team has more depth across the board than any team we have had since 2016. If we have a JAG at QB and the offensive scheme isn't a hot mess I think we'll all be happy this year.

“Colorado fans will miss Joel Klatt when he’s gone.” - Gary Barnett, 2005

Those words haunt me. Sefo was tough s nails and a leader, but we haven’t really had adequate QB play in 15 years.
Both Hansen and Cody were guys you could win some with, and Sefo, when healthy, was dangerous especially later in his career.

But Klatt was better than all of them. Ugh.

Problem with Montez was never his ceiling. It's that he played at his floor a lot, it was very low, and you never knew which Montez you were getting play to play.

“Colorado fans will miss Joel Klatt when he’s gone.” - Gary Barnett, 2005

Those words haunt me. Sefo was tough s nails and a leader, but we haven’t really had adequate QB play in 15 years.

I think Sefo would have been just fine with the teams around him we have today. He didn't have any line for most of his career and not a ton of supporting talent either. Is he going to win you any conference championships? Probably not, but could he be the QB on an 8 win team year after year? I think so.

I struggle with determining if Montez was really that bad, or just a victim of elevated expectations (on my part) after that 2016 Oregon game.
His awareness was so awful sometimes. We also didn’t use him very well in the run game, imo. I think we will lose some of the big plays in the passing game down the sidelines because he made some awesome throws like that (think Nebraska and asu from last year) but I think if we can develop an offense that uses Noyer in the run game and it more consistent between the hashes in the passing game the offense can be way more effective as a whole and especially in the red zone where those long passes aren’t there. Here’s to hoping.

Until he injured his shoulder. He was a shadow of his former self in his final year.
Really? I don't have good context or recollection of the 2005 season, outside of getting thumped by Vince Young and Texas in the Big 12 CG (which I believe Joel missed due to concussion right?), but I looked up his stats and that season, while not as good as his Sophomore year, was much better than the 2004 season.

1604073122452.png

Really? I don't have good context or recollection of the 2005 season, outside of getting thumped by Vince Young and Texas in the Big 12 CG (which I believe Joel missed due to concussion right?), but I looked up his stats and that season, while not as good as his Sophomore year, was much better than the 2004 season.

View attachment 40344
Hmm - I don't recall precisely when he hurt his shoulder and I was wondering if it was middle of his senior campaign rather than before 2005. I just remember some serious duds towards the very end and limited arm strength -> and not just the total humiliation in the Big 12 Championship game against UT. I believe that's why he wasn't able to catch on in the pro's.

From Wiki:
Professional football career
Klatt was not drafted in the 2006 NFL Draft but he did attend the Detroit Lions' and New Orleans Saints' rookie mini-camps after the draft. New Orleans signed him to a free-agent contract after their mini-camp, but then released him 11 days later on June 2, 2006. The Lions claimed him off waivers less than a week later, but Klatt was released on August 7, 2006 before the start of the regular season.

I'm not saying what I'm saying to diminish him at all. I totally agree he was the best QB we've had since that time - by far. Tyler Hanson is the only one that could have been a possible exception, but incompetence and nepotism kept him from flourishing.

Hmm - I don't recall precisely when he hurt his shoulder and I was wondering if it was middle of his senior campaign rather than before 2005. I just remember some serious duds towards the very end and limited arm strength -> and not just the total humiliation in the Big 12 Championship game against UT. I believe that's why he wasn't able to catch on in the pro's.

From Wiki:
Professional football career
Klatt was not drafted in the 2006 NFL Draft but he did attend the Detroit Lions' and New Orleans Saints' rookie mini-camps after the draft. New Orleans signed him to a free-agent contract after their mini-camp, but then released him 11 days later on June 2, 2006. The Lions claimed him off waivers less than a week later, but Klatt was released on August 7, 2006 before the start of the regular season.

I'm not saying what I'm saying to diminish him at all. I totally agree he was the best QB we've had since that time - by far. Tyler Hanson is the only one that could have been a possible exception, but incompetence and nepotism kept him from flourishing.
Yeah I looked up the other QB performances and Cody's Freshman year was actually pretty good (relatively), Hansen's Senior year was good, and then Sefo's 2014 was pretty solid, statistically, although his 2016 was clearly his best overall season. Hansen would have been the best had he started sooner, but overall, Klatt has been the best CU QB of the last 20 years.

Yeah I looked up the other QB performances and Cody's Freshman year was actually pretty good (relatively), Hansen's Senior year was good, and then Sefo's 2014 was pretty solid, statistically, although his 2016 was clearly his best overall season. Hansen would have been the best had he started sooner, but overall, Klatt has been the best CU QB of the last 20 years.
If only Sefo could have stayed healthy...

The QB is just one position. A good running game requires everyone to work together and I think that fits CU better. Just look at Utah. You can go ahead and stand on the top of the roof and scream ALEX SMITH but I would add Brain Johnson to that list and he's a QBs coach instead of being in the NFL. But the strong Buff teams of the past had strong running games. It seems like that hasn't been an emphasis in Boulder for a long time and the easy answer would be that we haven't seen anything like that since the early 2000s.

Mainly I'm tired of just two bowl games in 15 years. If there's no improvement under HCKD, I'm going the CFB fan free agency route.

CU goes bowling each of the last 3 years if Sefo, Hanson, or Klatt were the QB.

Everyone knew what was going to happen last year at the QB position as nothing was going to change with Montez at that point. He is what he is and he isn't going to all of a sudden change in the NFL, unfortunately.

The QB is just one position. A good running game requires everyone to work together and I think that fits CU better. Just look at Utah. You can go ahead and stand on the top of the roof and scream ALEX SMITH but I would add Brain Johnson to that list and he's a QBs coach instead of being in the NFL. But the strong Buff teams of the past had strong running games. It seems like that hasn't been an emphasis in Boulder for a long time and the easy answer would be that we haven't seen anything like that since the early 2000s.

Mainly I'm tired of just two bowl games in 15 years. If there's no improvement under HCKD, I'm going the CFB fan free agency route.

Utah heavily relied on Huntley the last couple seasons.

QB will be official within the next hour per 247
giphy.gif

Back