What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2020 Fall Camp Thread

I believe Noyer is the better athlete and if we are moving towards a lot of RPO stuff I think Noyer is the better option. Run heavy offense with our stable of backs. A little RPO, and some dink and dunk passes to let our playmakers at WR make plays. Along with our D I think we will be good.
Lewis can watch and learn, I am sure we will see a few set plays for him to get his feet wet and used to the speed of the college game. The more he learns, the more he will play. 20ish practices is not enough to get a true freshman ready to play.
I am going to assume that Lytle cant run the RPO style we are leaning into. Therefore, Noyer got the job with Lewis in waiting.

Keep in mind that the coaching staff that tried to turn Noyer into a safety is the same staff that coached Montez to that stellar senior season and that failed to even get Lytle or anyone else enough time to have an idea of who they are.

This coaching staff happens to think that Noyer is a better QB than Lytle is. The last staff had a different opinion.

It sounds dramatic to keep calling Noyer the 4th string safety but are we all that sure that he shouldn't have been the 2nd string QB last year and actually gotten some playing time.

Again this doesn't mean I am expecting great things from him but isn't it just possible that Mel and his staff screwed this one up?

People significantly undervalue grit and perseverance when evaluating football players. Noyer may have limitations, but let’s give him a chance before writing off the season. The QB is a the second most influential person, second to the HC, in setting the culture of a team. Personally, it’d be great to have a team of grinders who understand the game are willing to do what it takes.

Noyer can be successful if the coaches use his weapons correctly. We have guys like Nixon, Jackson, and Stanley who we should be getting the ball in space on short throws. We have Shenault and Arias who are super long. Good targets for deep shots and 50/50 balls. Fontenot, Mangham both bring different skill sets.

If this staff puts KD on the outside like the previous two staffs, I'll be beside myself. He is a SLOT receiver. Use him the right way.

Noyer lost the battle to be Montez backup last year. It was close and much of the team felt he was wronged. His move to safety was his move. He was pissed.

My source on this is one of his best friends, and I stated this then.

Enough with 4th string safety. 3 years ago everyone thought that the guy just beat out was the QB of the future given he was the highest rated in years. Give Sam some credit.

Edit
We will need 2 competent QBs. Let's hope we have 2 and both get some time.

Oh I agree completely. I have said from the start that Lewis should be QB1. To me, it feels like people think KD and Langsdorf are going with Noyer only because he's the older veteran guy and not because he performed better than Lytle.
Either Lewis wasn't seriously considered because they want a vet, or Lewis hasn't done what they expected, or just isn't ready for any number of reasons.

Sounds like they want Lytle to get snaps.

We need to win games this year if we want to see recruiting with under KD. Lewis should play when he's the best chance to win, or e decide the season is written off.

Two things with this-

1) I think the staff gets the benefit of the doubt on this decision at least until we see what this offense looks like against another team.
2) I believe we're going to see all three QBs at some point this season.

Has anyone ever heard how the other players feel about Noyer? Is he well liked and respected? ...or do we just not know anything about the guy

I am roughly two degrees of separation away from a starter on offense. lol. I’ve put a request for information into the stream.... but I doubt any team member will say anything related to the QB competition, as they shouldn’t, really. I also doubt I’d pass anything interesting along, either, as it might just create a potential, unnecessary crease in team unity.

All I can offer is... Go Buffs. Kick the **** out of UCLA!

I am roughly two degrees of separation away from a starter on offense. lol. I’ve put a request for information into the stream.... but I doubt any team member will say anything related to the QB competition, as they shouldn’t, really. I also doubt I’d pass anything interesting along, either, as it might just create a potential, unnecessary crease in team unity.

All I can offer is... Go Buffs. Kick the **** out of UCLA!
I suppose my question could seem like I was expecting him to be disliked, which now makes me regret asking. I actually expected him to be well liked and was looking for confirmation of that. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and I know he must’ve worked very hard this year to make the come back he has made. I’m just excited about football

Are MM snd MT just really bad at talent eval/roster Mgmt?

I don't think MM's issue was talent eval it was just recruiting in general.

I think a lot of college coaches are surprisingly bad at roster management. I was listening to a podcast the other day and UCLA is switching this year from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5. 2 linebackers on the field most of the time and they have 25 linebackers on their roster - 6 of which they brought in the last class. CU has 18 on the roster running a 3-4.

I am not surprised. The game plan is to run the ball, throw high percentage throws and play solid defense. The question I have is if it is extremely close, why not just go with the younger player?

I don't think MM's issue was talent eval it was just recruiting in general.

I think a lot of college coaches are surprisingly bad at roster management. I was listening to a podcast the other day and UCLA is switching this year from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5. 2 linebackers on the field most of the time and they have 25 linebackers on their roster - 6 of which they brought in the last class. CU has 18 on the roster running a 3-4.

Same thinking as you but I'll word it differently-MM was too loyal to the guys who followed him here from SJSU.

I struggle with determining if Montez was really that bad, or just a victim of elevated expectations (on my part) after that 2016 Oregon game.
Montez for all his arm talent sucked on long balls! If he could have hit more of those he would or could have won 1-3 more games each year.

Back