What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I think last go around we offered Bienemy and interviewed Odom. Iirc EB turned us down and Odom was never offered. It would be a surprise if these two aren’t serious candidates again.

According to Feldman, EB was offered $4,000,000.00 and declined.

I don't think I want him anyway, but I have a feeling that EB would be more receptive this time, considering the fact that he was snubbed as an NFL HC, even though he was probably the hottest he'll ever be. Now you have video of him arguing with Mahomes on the sideline - I think if CU was to offer, it would his best chance to ever become a HC.

Wisconsin has won 10+ games 13 times over the last 29 seasons and has averaged 9 wins/year over that time frame. Suggesting that the last 25 (29) years of a program's history "is not what they are" is maybe the most absurdly hilarious comment I've heard in some time. It's like saying the last 20 years of CU football is an outlier and not what this program is and they are really a national title contender because they had a short blip of success in the 80s and early 90s...

They went 8-4 last year, but they weren't competitive with Notre Dame and Michigan and lost to Minnesota at the end of the year, which kept them out of the B1G CG. On top of that, they had a very underwhelming COVID season the year before and are now 2-3, with losses to Washington State, a blowout to Ohio State and got smoked by Illinois. Chryst was brought in to maintain the offensive style that has made Wisconsin what they are, but add the QB element to it, and he has failed at doing that.

Wisconsin isn't an Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson type of program and they never will be, but they are firmly in the second tier, have a fairly rabid fanbase and some big boosters who expect them to be in Indianapolis most years playing Ohio State or Michigan for the B1G title.
Chryst is a very good option if it came to that.

Gary Patterson would be a disaster. I know people in FW and am not going to go into specifics, but his time at TCU, while successful, shall we say, had issues.

It's a great addition to the thread that you know people and can tell us he had "issues".

I was in transfer credit articulation at Chapman for 8 years. We had a lot of leeway as a private school as to what courses we would accept in transfer. Yes, courses had to meet the minimum requirements, but as long as they were at the college level and met the minimum grade, they were accepted. We accepted courses as equivalent to a Chapman course (for GE or major use) or general elective credit toward the overall 120 credit requirement. You just had to complete 48 credits at Chapmen to graduate.

If CU adopted those requirements, it would make things so much easier to get transfers in. But again, Chapman is private and can essentially make its own rules.
As a Dad of a Chapman alumni, I'd say Chapman had higher standards than CU too.

It's a great addition to the thread that you know people and can tell us he had "issues".
I knew I should have not said anything. Sorry. Perhaps I should just say I am personally convinced he would not be a HC I wanted at CU.

I'm very interested in Dunn and Choate. This program needs an offensive identity that really hasn't been there since Barnett. If either has a good plan that includes recruiting as a priority and staff, I think you look very hard here.

I don't want anything to do with Patterson. He basically quit coaching at TCU

Excited for RG to tell us he landed Herman and then at the press conference we find out it's Herman Edwards
pee wee herman 80s GIF by absurdnoise

You mean, from the police?
Mike Sanford, Colorado interim head coach: He would need to win a few games down the stretch this season to get serious consideration. In his previous head coaching opportunity, he went 9-16 in two seasons (2017-18) at Western Kentucky. An offensive coordinator at several stops, Sanford has to figure out how to get CU’s offense rolling the rest of this season.

If this were to happen I'd give up and adopt a new school to follow.

I'm strangely so beaten down that I'm ok with most names being tossed around.

I really just want someone who can recruit - but even that might be a pipe dream. Second option would be a young, out of the box thinker on offense/defense/program management. The whole world has changed around running a D1 program, and there needs to be someone willing to move at that fast pace (on and off the field)

Tony Alford isn't a bad candidate.

Hiring him would give Lamenation an aneurism for sure.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Mike Sanford, Colorado interim head coach: He would need to win a few games down the stretch this season to get serious consideration. In his previous head coaching opportunity, he went 9-16 in two seasons (2017-18) at Western Kentucky. An offensive coordinator at several stops, Sanford has to figure out how to get CU’s offense rolling the rest of this season.

Dude- If Sanford won 5+ games down the stretch considering the schedule, I'd maybe get on board. He won't. don't worry about it.

From elsewhere. Please delete if not OK mods.

Of 11 presented this year, 4 got green light. I don’t know comparison to other schools.

//////////

Where CU's football program runs into difficult academic hurdles is with Progress Towards Degree (PTD). For any incoming transfer student (Junior College or four-year institution), they have to meet certain degree requirements for the major they plan to pursue at CU. If they are admissible into CU but do not meet PTD, they are not eligible to compete during the season.

Most degrees require 120 units to graduate. To meet PTD, they need to meet these requirements, prior to the upcoming fall term:

Freshman (2 semesters) = 20 percent of degree completion (24 credits)

Sophomore (4 semesters) = 40 percent of degree completion (48 credits)

Junior (6 semesters) = 60 percent of degree completion (72 credits)

Senior (8 semesters) = 80 percent of degree completion (96 credits)

CU also has an institutional policy that any transfer must take 48 units at CU to obtain a degree from CU.

Because of that, any prospective transfer that is seven or eight semesters into college is immediately out of play. Even those in their sixth semester are very unlikely to meet PTD requirements, based on how CU accepts transfer credits. So they basically have to wait until graduation for the PTD requirements to go away to recruit these players. If you look at the transfers they've taken recently from the portal, you will see that reflected:
Oof. Thanks!

He’d have to get this team bowl eligible

I'm strangely so beaten down that I'm ok with most names being tossed around.

I really just want someone who can recruit - but even that might be a pipe dream. Second option would be a young, out of the box thinker on offense/defense/program management. The whole world has changed around running a D1 program, and there needs to be someone willing to move at that fast pace (on and off the field)
Agreed. I’d like our new coach be someone with a lot of energy who engages with the coaches and team, as well as fan base. An out of the box thinker would be great.

Back