What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Nebraska Game Thread

He's better than Mata. Had some power and some distance.

Accuracy may be suspect but would.probably improve with reps.

He kicks it low too.

I think Mata is better than Feely. With that said, I certainly wish we had a better kicker on the roster. I just don’t see it with Feely. And certainly don’t think it’s a case where Coach Prime is favoring an inferior player. Feely hasn’t shown he can be a good kicker.

He kicks it low too.

I think Mata is better than Feely. With that said, I certainly wish we had a better kicker on the roster. I just don’t see it with Feely. And certainly don’t think it’s a case where Coach Prime is favoring an inferior player. Feely hasn’t shown he can be a good kicker.
Feely is a good player but chokes in game, he seems to have a terminal case of the yips... Mata isn't talented and just a good story... they need ti play Alex stoyanovich

He kicks it low too.

We've only seen him attempt a 60 yarder this year

This loss only feeds the narrative that this team looks the same as last year - can't run the ball, can't protect Shedeur, and the defense is bad in the front 7. The first 2 were true tonight and the 3rd was true for the better part of the first half.
Again, barely got to see any of the game because I was at a party but what I did see was Woods and I think Shilo make overly aggressive plays that I believe both led to 15 yard penalties. And I think that's becoming a common part of Coach Primes culture here. That 15 yard UNsportsman like hits and mental breakdowns for PI or other penalties that are mostly part of the mental part of the game are not getting coached out of the kids. Also, wondering did Nebraska get to SS with their front 4 or was their creative blitzes? I only ask because I've been a proponent that some of the sacks are SS fault for holding the ball to long to let the deeper routes unfold when an audible to a running play or 5 yard pass play would have been the Tom Brady decision.

If you consider tonight playing…then I’m good!

Do they think that plays are just going to happen by them standing by their man getting less than a yard of pressure/watching their man get the first down almost every time!?
Play and playing well are different, fully agree

When your starting OL can't pass protect, how can you expect your FG unit OL to keep things clean for the kicker?

That said, Mata doesn't have much of a leg and line drives to compensate. I'm sure he looks great kicking against air.

***want to follow this up. SS will be incredible in the NFL when he is behind an OL that will include a NFL TE who can block and pass catch and he gets time to make throws. The guy can make all the throws to be a NFL QB and we are lucky to have him. But does he every audible into a run play that results in a 14 yard run? I want that out of my NFL QB also.

And it's hurting the passing game SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's almost too easy for defenses to defend against a one dimensional offense and even the best passing offenses effectively use the run to keep the defense honest.

It's obvious that if things don't change next week win or lose Shurmur needs to be shown the door. Not even sure who we could replace him with but I find it hard to believe that we couldn't find a currently unemployed OC that's more clever than Shurmur. And there's an argument to be made that Shurmur should be ****canned this week for this performance. Insane to only put up 10 points when you have a top tier QB and WR. Figure it the **** out.
I’ll keep saying it: The run and shoot offense was a horrible failure. You have to have a TE in or the D has an insanely easy path to the QB.

They line up a possible blitz on the outside of each tackle and they know you are committed to a hot read, which they can then cover on a quick pass.

Every time. Same thing.

This loss only feeds the narrative that this team looks the same as last year - can't run the ball, can't protect Shedeur, and the defense is bad in the front 7. The first 2 were true tonight and the 3rd was true for the better part of the first half.
That's cause this team is the same as last year.

Except people know what we are from the get go, we don't get a 4 game buffer.

When your starting OL can't pass protect, how can you expect your FG unit OL to keep things clean for the kicker?

That said, Mata doesn't have much of a leg and line drives to compensate. I'm sure he looks great kicking against air.
Mata looks like a high school kicker.

I’m sure that he was great for Jackson State, but this is an entirely different level and that kick was absolutely awful.

I’ve never seen such low kicks in my life…even watching my high school teams.

Not sure what’s going on there, but Coach Prime needs to address it.

And it's hurting the passing game SIGNIFICANTLY.

It's almost too easy for defenses to defend against a one dimensional offense and even the best passing offenses effectively use the run to keep the defense honest.

It's obvious that if things don't change next week win or lose Shurmur needs to be shown the door. Not even sure who we could replace him with but I find it hard to believe that we couldn't find a currently unemployed OC that's more clever than Shurmur. And there's an argument to be made that Shurmur should be ****canned this week for this performance. Insane to only put up 10 points when you have a top tier QB and WR. Figure it the **** out.
I had my concerns on Shurmur as an OC when we looked like garbage against NDSU in the Red Zone multiple times. Hunter with a complete bail out one of those possessions with an amazing catch and really hunter with a great route and use of hands to get open on another as well. But nothing designed by the OC made it easy and if the OC can't design plays to score against a slower NDSU team what is he going to do against much faster teams. I understand that it looks like the OL might be weak again but I just can't accept it. I just can't accept that most of these guys have been fairly good elsewhere but then suddenly get to CU and are barely 3 star players. Seaton does deserve time. He may be dominant in 6-7 weeks as a pass protector. But 3 of the other guys plus some of the backups have all been starters who have been pretty decent elsewhere.

I had my concerns on Shurmur as an OC when we looked like garbage against NDSU in the Red Zone multiple times. Hunter with a complete bail out one of those possessions with an amazing catch and really hunter with a great route and use of hands to get open on another as well. But nothing designed by the OC made it easy and if the OC can't design plays to score against a slower NDSU team what is he going to do against much faster teams. I understand that it looks like the OL might be weak again but I just can't accept it. I just can't accept that most of these guys have been fairly good elsewhere but then suddenly get to CU and are barely 3 star players. Seaton does deserve time. He may be dominant in 6-7 weeks as a pass protector. But 3 of the other guys plus some of the backups have all been starters who have been pretty decent elsewhere.
The NDSU game was a major red flag. No way with the talent we had, we only scored 28 points against that defense unless the play calls are bad.

Mata looks like a high school kicker.

I’m sure that he was great for Jackson State, but this is an entirely different level and that kick was absolutely awful.

I’ve never seen such a low kicks in my life…even watching my high school teams.

Not sure what’s going on there, but Coach Prime needs to address it.
I like the kid but even at Jackson, he wasn't even the kicker most fans wanted but we likely his clutch factor. Now, he just seems to be high risk every single FG attempt. I felt better about Feely and his 62 yard miss. He would have made it from 53. I felt better at him. Mata just doesn't have it for me but I know Prime loves him

I had my issues with Lew, mainly no check downs and we play too fast. But some Shumur play calls are headscratching and I know it's Shumur because I know Shedeur sees Travis 1v1 on cover 0 and still hands it off because that's what the OC wants

The NDSU game was a major red flag. No way with the talent we had, we only scored 28 points against that defense unless the play calls are bad.
Honestly, part of the problem is Shedeur. Not on talent, moxie or football IQ, but his stubbornness in terms of being unwilling to run the offense as designed and called by the OC. Last year, we barely saw the Lewis offense after TCU. This year, we almost blew NDSU because he wouldn't simply hand the ball off to close the game. It's a problem.

I had my issues with Lew, mainly no check downs and we play too fast. But some Shumur play calls are headscratching and I know it's Shumur because I know Shedeur sees Travis 1v1 on cover 0 and still hands it off because that's what the OC wants
Shurmur was the absolute worst hire that we could have make in our situation and you can’t persuade me otherwise.

All of Shurmur’s best offenses have worked off of a really successful running game, which we never had a chance of establishing/even thought about establishing…so wtf are we thinking!?

Honestly, part of the problem is Shedeur. Not on talent, moxie or football IQ, but his stubbornness in terms of being unwilling to run the offense as designed and called by the OC. Last year, we barely saw the Lewis offense after TCU. This year, we almost blew NDSU because he wouldn't simply hand the ball off to close the game. It's a problem.
Yep. I love Shedeur and he’s the best passing qb in cu history by far, but he shoulders a lot of the blame for this loss.

Felt like he could have checked into runs, helped out his o line, etc, but he kept passing every play in that first half. I get he wants to win a he he’s super talented, but damn. I actually thought they were blocking ok and Hayden took advantage of some of those holes they opened up.

We’ve changed OC, we’ve changed everyone out on the line, but the results are still the same.

I’m so pissed off. From last December to now, THIS is the offensive scheme they came up with and have been working on?

5 OL. No TE. 4 WR. Shotgun only. One RB. No FB. Rarely any motion or shifts.

No one standing around at a practice looked at this and said…. “Hey, I think this was tried before and it doesn’t work”? You can’t run and you can’t protect. Your QB has to run for his life from the OLB free shot on whatever side they choose. They can get easy pressure with 4 or 5, even without the interior OL being unable to follow a simple swim move or slant.

No other formations? No I-formation for short yardage, ever? No MAX PROTECT scheme, to allow your quality WRs to work into an open area?

SHOTGUN handoff to Offerdahl on 4th and inches… losing 2 yards? Still no extra blockers in. If you are going to do that, why not wildcat and get an extra blocker, at least.

Last edited:
Shurmur was the absolute worst hire that we could have make in our situation and you can’t persuade me otherwise.

All of Shurmur’s best offenses have worked off of a really successful running game, which we never had a chance of establishing/even thought about establishing…so wtf are we thinking!?
We could have a good running game, but the proposition of taking WR off the field and de-emphasizing SS is a choice that Prime will not choose. He said in this Presser that "It is rare for a team to have as good a running game as its passing game". WTF? The Broncos won Super Bowls the moment that we had as good a Running Game as we had John Elway. Exactly what is happening to SS

Also - Colt McCoy. What the f*ck was that? All I could think of the entire broadcast was the guy from Road Trip who asks, “You wanna smoke some drugs?”

Yep. I love Shedeur and he’s the best passing qb in cu history by far, but he shoulders a lot of the blame for this loss.

Felt like he could have checked into runs, helped out his o line, etc, but he kept passing every play in that first half. I get he wants to win a he he’s super talented, but damn. I actually thought they were blocking ok and Hayden took advantage of some of those holes they opened up.

We’ve changed OC, we’ve changed everyone out on the line, but the results are still the same.
And by extension, it's the head coach giving him authority to make those decisions.

I’m so pissed off. From last December to now, THIS is the offensive scheme they came up with and have been working on?

5 OL. No TE. 4 WR. Shotgun only. One RB. No FB. Rarely any motion or shifts.

No one standing around at a practice looked at this and said…. “Hey, I think this was tried before and it doesn’t work”? You can’t run and you can’t protect. Your QB has to run for his life from the OLB free shot on whatever side they choose. They can get easy pressure with 4 or 5, even without the interior OL being unable to follow a simple swim move or slant.

No other formations? No I-formation for short yardage, ever? No MAX PROTECT scheme, to allow your quality WRs to work into an open area?

SHOTGUN handoff to Offerdahl on 4th and inches… losing 2 yards? Still no extra blockers in. If you are going to do that, why not wildcat and get an extra blocker, at least.
Apparently you don't know of the thing called: Shurmur

Better team won… they did everything that they drew up to do to us.

The world isn’t ending but there is a lot of foundational work still to do. I did think our WRs blocked exceptionally well. One of the few highlights.

Back