What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Nebraska Game Thread

Correct me here if I’m wrong: schematically, in the shotgun with no TE and 4WRs, the only running plays we can do are dive, draws, and attempted counters—all with only the 5 OL blocking.

As a Def Coordinator, that’s cake to handle, isn’t it? Sure looks like it’s easy as hell to handle. So many defenders all converging from every angle.

You can’t really even go off tackle, as the DBs outside just shade inside a bit and the runs goes straight to them. And who hook blocks the OLB? Any pulling OL leaves a huge gap for penetration. We see that almost every play.

Last edited:
I’m so pissed off. From last December to now, THIS is the offensive scheme they came up with and have been working on?

5 OL. No TE. 4 WR. Shotgun only. One RB. No FB. Rarely any motion or shifts.

No one standing around at a practice looked at this and said…. “Hey, I think this was tried before and it doesn’t work”? You can’t run and you can’t protect. Your QB has to run for his life from the OLB free shot on whatever side they choose. They can get easy pressure with 4 or 5, even without the interior OL being unable to follow a simple swim move or slant.

No other formations? No I-formation for short yardage, ever? No MAX PROTECT scheme, to allow your quality WRs to work into an open area?

SHOTGUN handoff to Offerdahl on 4th and inches… losing 2 yards? Still no extra blockers in. If you are going to do that, why not wildcat and get an extra blocker, at least.

Incidentally, toward the end of the game when they got in the pistol and ran downhill and had the linemen pulling they were able to run for positive yardage. Crazy how that happens.

Incidentally, toward the end of the game when they got in the pistol and ran downhill and had the linemen pulling they were able to run for positive yardage. Crazy how that happens.
I had stopped watching by then. I’m glad that’s, at least, in the play book. Thanks.

There is nothing Deion can do about Shurmur during the season. Chasing off Lewis last year and rewarding a close confidant with the position means he has to stick with him at least through this season to maintain a positive reputation. It was a perplexing hire to begin with but you cannot just throw him under the bus two games in. Being viewed as a "toxic" coach to work under isn't something to take lightly. It was the wrong hire then and the wrong OC now, but Deion must sleep in the bed he made.

Last edited:
Read through the whole thread while waiting for the flight home. After having the night to think about it.

1) I’m truly impressed with the defense. They were put in ****ty situation after ****ty situation and held them to 28 points. Two weeks in a row where Livingston makes legit halftime adjustments and we lock down. Defense only gave up 21 and it should have been 14, but Buff **** and Bentley drops a pick that ends up a touchdown.

2) Shurmer does suck and refuses to even try to run the ball, it’s embarrassing. But I probably wouldn’t want to run that much either if I was getting stuck with Charlie as the guy because of some weird loyalty complex.

3) Some of y’all need to relax. Every bad bounce that could have happened, happened. We aren’t winning the Big XII but we can still win 6/7 games if we figure a couple things out.

4) That defense, and especially that d-line, is the best we will see all season. Their D Coordinator will be a head coach very soon.

5) I am pretty annoyed by the cockiness in the offseason about how we improved the trenches when our weaknesses from last year have remained. O-line is better but not much. We really need to emphasize trench recruiting via the prep ranks.

6) Nebraska is absolutely better than us. But they are not that much better. That game should have been a 7-10 point loss. Even at 18 points, that’s not that terrible to a team that will likely be 9-3 or better at seasons end.

I still have some hope for a bowl game, but good god, commit to the run game.

Last edited:
nu is a pretty good team, and we could still win 6, go bowling.

No one says "sinful" anymore, but it sux that the coaches, across the board, misled the fans and everyone else, about how good this team was. I think some players were shocked that they weren't nearly as good as the coaches claimed they would be. Hopefully time heals.

the officials last night got caught in a cycle of making a bad call, and then making another, to atone for the 1st. They were very caught up in the their roles as "protectors" the last roughing the passer was a total joke.

The constant video taping, the focus on stars at practice, leaves me thinking the team isn't bonding like a team should.

after the 1s 4 series, I had flashbacks to 62 - 36 - no defense until 10+ yards downfield. D did a good job recovering.

Last edited:
If Bentley doesn’t drop (or whatever that was) that INT, the Buffs D holds NUB to 14 points. That’s astounding on a night where everything went wrong.

Please please please… Shurmer… Watch the series where NUB put two TEs overloaded to one side and powered for long run after long run, right off tackle there.

You CANNOT build a running game off 5OL 4WR Shotgun sets. You HAVE to bring in extra blockers for both the run and the pass. At least mix up your formations!!

Sorry to be a broken record, but how did we go through nine months of planning and practicing for one run-and-shoot formation? I didn’t realize Shurmer was a Mouse Davis disciple: a coach and formation that barely ever even got to the playoffs for a decade with Barry Sanders.

Defense has been a nice surprise and the ILB's aren't complete liabilities, pretty impressed with Bentley overall given his performance last year. Not sure I saw a drop off after Woods left, maybe an improvement with NHG.

6 wins with the offensive talent is simply unacceptable, 6 wins with SS2 and the WRs and a solid D is a failure - and I think 6 is a tough attainment now. Other Big 12 teams aren't as good as NU is on the DL but there's a number that are as good or better overall with good coaching staffs.

Zero confidence in the offensive staff. They must have a TE to block at all times, setup in the pistol (under center ain't happening in CFB outside of a few teams) so you can run other things not named inside zones. Motion has got to be used, they need to move the pocket, get more quick hitters. I don't want to run the ball just to run the ball but they have to make an effort to do so otherwise teams will just keep sitting in C4 and other 7 coverages and take away the strength of this team.

Right now I'm convinced the offensive strategy is to get SS2 his numbers and call it a day - a narrative I thought was absolutely asinine previously.

and as teams gain tape on our complicated offense, those experienced D coordinators will shut us down.

Media said Shedeur was pulled at end of 4th for precautionary reasons for being hit in the head.

Is he ok?

You could put anybody, and I mean anybody, behind this o-line and it wouldn't change a damn thing. If you can't or won't run the ball any, bad shvt is gonna happen. Here is a clue, having a running game will help the pass pro. What I mean by that is, defenses will actually have to account for runs. Right now, they are just pinning their ears back and fvcking bringing heat without a care in the world about us running it. I wonder why. It's so fvcking obvious it's sad. Coaches are supposed to try and put you in the best position for success. I'm seeing the exact opposite of that.

If Bentley doesn’t drop (or whatever that was) that INT, the Buffs D holds NUB to 14 points. That’s astounding on a night where everything went wrong.

Please please please… Shurmer… Watch the series where NUB put two TEs overloaded to one side and powered for long run after long run, right off tackle there.

You CANNOT build a running game off 5OL 4WR Shotgun sets. You HAVE to bring in extra blockers for both the run and the pass. At least mix up your formations!!

Sorry to be a broken record, but how did we go through nine months of planning and practicing for one run-and-shoot formation? I didn’t realize Shurmer was a Mouse Davis disciple: a coach and formation that barely ever even got to the playoffs for a decade with Barry Sanders.
They literally tried that on the 4th down in the second half. They had two TEs to the right and handed to Charlie for a 1 yard loss because Nebraskas LB came untouched through the B gap. The OL has no clue who to block and Benson isn’t quick enough or good enough to actually get to his blocks and maintain them.

This was discussed after last game but being one dimensional hurts the offense and the line. NUs defense pretty much knew what play CU was running. Oline might not be great but they are put in a bad situation. Offensive coaching seems to believe the game plan should be to just have Shedeur fling the ball downfield to Hunter. NU had a true Frosh QB and mixed it up for him to keep the defense off balance.

Last edited:
They literally tried that on the 4th down in the second half. They had two TEs to the right and handed to Charlie for a 1 yard loss because Nebraskas LB came untouched through the B gap. The OL has no clue who to block and Benson isn’t quick enough or good enough to actually get to his blocks and maintain them.
Do you think they don’t know who to block because they have a first time position coach?

Do you think they don’t know who to block because they have a first time position coach?
The worst to me is how the Oline gets **** on even by Prime. Take some accountability please. It’s also (if not primarily) the offensive coaching that is the issue. I couldn’t stand Lewis’s gimmicky offense, but it was actually more dynamic than Shurmer’s. Pain in my heart. It’s also starting to look like it’s simply Prime’s offensive strategy. Like it wouldn’t matter who the OC was Prime’s offense is always going to look like this. Gives me the creeps. Doesn’t seem like the offense Prime would voluntarily run, but….

And who has been in Prime’s ear regarding OC hires?! That bird does not know football.

Last edited:
Right now I'm convinced the offensive strategy is to get SS2 his numbers and call it a day - a narrative I thought was absolutely asinine previously.
Brother in law asked me this at the beginning of the year. How much of this is “daddy ball?” SS is the best QB we’ve had since Stewart, but I get the feeling this season is SS’s Heisman Campaign, and Hunter’s 1st Round draft pick audition.

You heard Prime, who needs a running game when you’re throwing for 450 yards? Well, teams stuck on the 8 yard line who throw pick 6’s need a run game. Teams who run the same 4th and 1 for a loss need a run game.

I think there’s probably some of that, but Benson is straight ass. You watch some of the replays where Shedeur had pressure up the middle and it’s almost exclusively Benson just getting beat off the snap. Granted, those two DTs are probably a top 3-5 DT pairing in the country and they are going to carry that Nebraska defense this year, but Benson has to be moved.

Oof.
So Shilo broke his forearm in the first half?
Our OL is still so porous?
Offense play calling leaves alot to be desired?
We still have no run game?
Our defense against the run is average at best?

Not a very good look in week 2. Making a bowl this year is gonna be iffy at best

Oof.
So Shilo broke his forearm in the first half?
Our OL is still so porous?
Offense play calling leaves alot to be desired?
We still have no run game?
Our defense against the run is average at best?

Not a very good look in week 2. Making a bowl this year is gonna be iffy at best
defense gave up zero in 2nd half…made adjustments at half..Livingston is the smartest coach on the staff…maybe future head coaching material

Last edited:
Honestly, part of the problem is Shedeur. Not on talent, moxie or football IQ, but his stubbornness in terms of being unwilling to run the offense as designed and called by the OC. Last year, we barely saw the Lewis offense after TCU. This year, we almost blew NDSU because he wouldn't simply hand the ball off to close the game. It's a problem.
Glad to hear someone say it out loud.

Honestly, part of the problem is Shedeur. Not on talent, moxie or football IQ, but his stubbornness in terms of being unwilling to run the offense as designed and called by the OC. Last year, we barely saw the Lewis offense after TCU. This year, we almost blew NDSU because he wouldn't simply hand the ball off to close the game. It's a problem.

And part of it is on his father for enabling it. I thought it was treacherous when Sanders said "we'll get Shedeur what he needs" last season as it showed that for him it's all about Shedeur.

Back