What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Rocky Mountain Showdown Pregame Thread - "Must Win for CSU"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this **** out. The first play of the game in the first clip. There are three scenarios at play that can explain this…

1. Tyler Brown is simply incompetent and doesn’t know his assignments
2. Loadholdt has no clue how to teach blocking schemes and assignment
3. Shedeur made some kind of check at the line that not everyone heard or people were confused about

I honestly have no idea which one it is, but the only thing that gives me hope is that these are fundamental issues that *should* be able to get fixed.

LMAO, this play right here tells you how much a joke the CU offense is.

This is for sure a running play call, you can tell that TB had his eye on the linebacker before the snap.

So my best guess on what happened is this

1. This is the supposed to be a running play where RB runs to the left following the pulling tackle.
2. Shedeur changed the running play to be the passing.
3. None of the OL, maybe except for Benson, got the singal.
4. TB is supposed to pull, but Hank got destroyed by the Nebraska guy, he got pushed back so much which blocked TB's pulling route
5. Benson is supposed to protect the A gap (in the original play call), so he should have helped Hank to handle the pressure in the center, and leave the right side DE unblocked. But he might have picked up the signal from Shedeur so he switched to passing protection.

Note that even if Benson did the right thing (double team the DT), this is still a busted play because they were doing the running block.

This is completely a joke

So are scripted plays not a thing? I always thought they were. If so, maybe the rest of the line were just doing what they thought was the scripted play. If they can be changed, then maybe we do have OL guys who knew what they were doing once, forgot it all now, and will know what they are doing again on another team next year.
What do you mean by "scripted plays?" Likely a play was called in the huddle. Then Shedeur changed it at the LOS. Either way the line should know what their assignment is for both plays. The issue seems to have been they didn't hear/know the play had changed. It happens.

Alright football smart people -The play on the 38 yard line has me absolutely perplexed as to what everyone was supposed to do.

#56 at the snap goes running downfield after 5 like they are playing a game of tag. It could have been called lineman down field
#67 gets off the ball like he is run blocking and just gets abused inside on pass rush
#58 with no help on #0 and goes after #42 leaving a huge hole in the middle of the line.
#31 comes across the formation after the snap, misses #0 going up the middle of the field, runs over to help #44 block, only to fall over un-touched. Everything about what his purpose was on this play has me confused.
#6 ends up wide open in the middle of the field, but he stopped running, and if he continued there might have been a chance for a throw before the sack.
Tyler Brown running 5 yards down field to try to engage the LB makes me think he thought it was a run play, or at very least an RPO. It clearly wasn't an RPO because Shedeur barely even faked to the RB. The entire OL slides left, the TE is supposed to come across the formation to pick up the edge rusher, which technically happened with Charlie, but Benson and Hank fail miserably in trying to block #0. Mayers actually stones #9 and Seaton's guy didn't rush.

Just complete lack of communication.

LMAO, this play right here tells you how much a joke the CU offense is.

This is for sure a running play call, you can tell that TB had his eye on the linebacker before the snap.

So my best guess on what happened is this

1. This is the supposed to be a running play where RB runs to the left following the pulling tackle.
2. Shedeur changed the running play to be the passing.
3. None of the OL, maybe except for Benson, got the singal.
4. TB is supposed to pull, but Hank got destroyed by the Nebraska guy, he got pushed back so much which blocked TB's pulling route
5. Benson is supposed to protect the A gap (in the original play call), so he should have helped Hank to handle the pressure in the center, and leave the right side DE unblocked. But he might have picked up the signal from Shedeur so he switched to passing protection.

Note that even if Benson did the right thing (double team the DT), this is still a busted play because they were doing the running block.

This is completely a joke
What play are you talking about here? If it's the first one above, it's absolutely a run to the right. And where is the Tackle pulling? It's a pretty straight forward down block concept.

What do you mean by "scripted plays?" Likely a play was called in the huddle. Then Shedeur changed it at the LOS. Either way the line should know what their assignment is for both plays. The issue seems to have been they didn't hear/know the play had changed. It happens.
I think the idea of scripted plays is that they practice the first series of plays over and over and over during the week, so they are no communication issues or confusion. At this point, that's what they should definitely be doing with the only possible check that Shedeur can make is flipping the side based on a defensive look.

My bad, for some reason I thought it was the first play of the game.

I don't have the knowledge that you guys do. I always thought the first 4-5 plays of every game were called plays to see what the defense is doing.

I think the idea of scripted plays is that they practice the first series of plays over and over and over during the week, so they are no communication issues or confusion. At this point, that's what they should definitely be doing with the only possible check that Shedeur can make is flipping the side based on a defensive look.
True. you are also getting real time reaction on what the D will do in a somewhat controlled environment, and running some stuff to set tendencies. We ran a triple for a couple of years and there were scripted gives, keep and pitches on veer plays. We went into our sets knowing there was no option, even if it was an option look, so the coaches in the box could see how the D reacts as well as set up other stuff later. All that goes out the window if your QB decides to go off script.

WCO is pretty famous for scripting the first 15-20 plays, probably for many of the same reasons.

True. you are also getting real time reaction on what the D will do in a somewhat controlled environment, and running some stuff to set tendencies. We ran a triple for a couple of years and there were scripted gives, keep and pitches on veer plays. We went into our sets knowing there was no option, even if it was an option look, so the coaches in the box could see how the D reacts as well as set up other stuff later. All that goes out the window if your QB decides to go off script.

WCO is pretty famous for scripting the first 15-20 plays, probably for many of the same reasons.
I'm sure at least the first two series were scripted going into the game. That said, if SS2 is given free rein to change at the LOS, then scripting means absolutely jack sh!t.

This thread is now officially @Darth Snow level doomy

Season 7 No GIF by Chicago Fire

I'm sure at least the first two series were scripted going into the game. That said, if SS2 is given free rein to change at the LOS, then scripting means absolutely jack sh!t.
I remember coaches going ape when there was a mental error on the scripted plays because you had run them over and over in practice the week before. Those clips above are very disturbing.

It's all good fellas. If we have solved this, you know the football minds in Dal Ward certainly have.
We will have addressed these issues and cruise to a victory like a well oiled machine.

It's crazy how all the evidence points to half the guys thinking it is the scripted play and the other half thinking S2S called an audible.
Now we will see how they implement changes. I think ndsu made them think they could keep free styling it.

I think what needs to happen is to reel 2 in on the audibles until the line gels more. And dumb down some of the rpo stuff. Go ahead and commit to the run on early downs and see if you can get to 3rd and 6 or better. Rinse, rinse, repeat. Let 2 go crazy on audibles once the line starts working better as a unit.

Stats alone won’t win 2 the heisman if he can’t stay upright and we are losing all the time.

Now we will see how they implement changes. I think ndsu made them think they could keep free styling it.

I think what needs to happen is to reel 2 in on the audibles until the line gels more. And dumb down some of the rpo stuff. Go ahead and commit to the run on early downs and see if you can get to 3rd and 6 or better. Rinse, rinse, repeat. Let 2 go crazy on audibles once the line starts working better as a unit.

Stats alone won’t win 2 the heisman if he can’t stay upright and we are losing all the time.

The Office Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

Can I have some of that Shedeur Heisman crack you are smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back