What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Rocky Mountain Showdown Pregame Thread - "Must Win for CSU"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not great, but it also might not be that bad. Quite possibly the crowd noise played a part? I don't know, but I'm fairly certain it's not a case of the OLine not knowing what the hell they are doing.

In a magical world where I was the coach I'd tell SS2 you can't change any plays through the first 2-3 series END OF FVCKING STORY. Then together we discuss what we're seeing and we agree on the set of plays to check to when/if warranted.*

*This is based on real life experience BTW.
Holy smokes you’re Sean Lewis?

Exactly. This is what I was re-watching. No rhyme or reason as to which blocker is picking up which rusher. Often two blockers go after one rusher and still miss him, leaving another rusher completely free.

The point of scripting the first plays is so everyone is on the same page. THIS is the same page?

I tend to agree with most of your comments and many others. It seems on that particular play noted, it appears SS dropped to a pass, when the play call was in a run in a 80K+ stadium with a ton of crowd noise, hence no coordination. @NE was an awful half of football that put CU behind, then the O has to try and playing from behind. Not a good recpie. The D played better in the 2nd half, and created chances in the 1st half too. That game was a nightmare, so let's turn the page.

On O, I want to see improvement, a good-game plan and executing/sticking with the game-plan, even if it is not the prettiest of wins. I don't like all the negative comments pointing to Daddy ball, as I like SS (probably the most talented NFL caliber QB CU has ever had), however if wants to be a QB1 in the NFL draft (i.e. 1st round pick), he will have to demonstrate that he can simply execute a game-plan, which includes running the football. They have to compete in the time of possession category in the 1st half, which they did not do in either game. IMO, those Oline guys have to be given an opportunity to get off their blocks and just punish going forward (i.e. they have to eat too). Obviously, the RBs have to hit the holes, whoever it is that plays. Cannot forget, the over-riding factor in the CU offense is that it has to exploit its play-makers for big plays, which are at the QB and WR position. They have to hit the plays--that is protection, big and small throws and catching the ball. I'm not sure there is perfect balance in an CU O to be had, but an O that executes enough putting points in the board and just wins game is it.A "W" is a "W" and that is it.

On D, put two halves of football together and we build off of that going forward. I thought both teams hit hard last week, and the D has to keep doing that. It will not be perfect, but really play hard as they did both 2nd halves. I would love to see some turnovers and more sacks. I think those will come, if we are not playing from behind and the time of possesion battle is manageable. There is not much they can do about a quick strike O (which we had v. NDSU), but the O execution can hopefully help out there.

Special teams, that just have to convert. Same sort of execution. Mata has to be autoMataca, or other options. Our punter has to be in the running for B-12 punter of the year. We brought in a certain return guy, and he has to break some plays.

Finally, the coaches just have to be on the same page with each-other and the players.

Let's just get it done. Go Buffs get the W.

I hate that we let Van Wells go.
If Prime wouldn’t have **** on the line, and let Shedeur change every play at the line of scrimmage, he’d still be here.

It also seems probable that it’s SS that is making our line a mockery. Two years in a row, same issues, same offense. It’s Shedeur’s offense. Nobody else’s.

Last edited:
In what world is it surprising that RG made such a dumbass decision?

(Yes, I know, you were making a joke, but I can't let any opportunity to point incompetence by RG out)
Exactly! RG is a colossal idiot as have been proven many times. Unfortunately, few people realize how bad he is, but Todd Saliman is does. If Prime fails like I now except, RG will quickly be out on his ear.

Last edited:
If Prime wouldn’t have **** on the line, and let Shedeur change every play at the line of scrimmage, he’d still be here.

It also seems probable that it’s SS that is making our line a mockery. Two years in a row, same issues, same offense. It’s Shedeur’s offense. Nobody else’s.
Shedeur is going to be a top 5 draft pick but I'm starting to think that his adjustment to the NFL is going to be rough.

Coaches are going to tell him they don't care what his last name is, he is going to run what they call the way they designed it or he can sit. And his OL is going to be a bunch of grown men who won't put up with his stuff.

Shedeur is going to be a top 5 draft pick but I'm starting to think that his adjustment to the NFL is going to be rough.

Coaches are going to tell him they don't care what his last name is, he is going to run what they call the way they designed it or he can sit. And his OL is going to be a bunch of grown men who won't put up with his stuff.
If this season keeps up he will be lucky to sniff the end of the first round. You have to have more than one dimension in your game.

In spite of the thread title, I believe this is a must win for CU. The Buffs have not played a complete game this season on either side of the ball. Going into the 3rd game you are suppose to be fine tuning things, not trying to figure things out from scratch.

CU should beat CSU but at home they could be tough. They are not going to be intimidated by CU having played Texas on the road.

I hope we can see the performance we have all been expecting and waiting for.
I agree 100% with everything you said.

Plus it's going to get UGLY if we lose. The national media is creaming for us to fall apart and a lot of the local media is too (looking at you DP). I'm personally pretty tired of the media ****ting on us and praying we go on a roll.

I'm of the opinion that Nebraska is actually a damn good team and the overreactions are crazy, it's damn hard to win on the road in CFB and Nebraska is a tough place to play. So hopefully they prove that with a dominant win this weekend.

Couldn't have written it better. Agree 100% and not enough people are seeing or allowing for this not being on the line. It is likely most of the offensive line woes are on SS. Also, some of the passing routes might be on him as well. He needs to let Shurmur be the OC and stop changing and checking out of plays. This is probably why he clashed with the OC Sean Lewis last year and why Lewis left and at least San Diego State knew the problems were not on Lewis or they would not have hired him as their head football coach.. if there is a crowd noise issue, this is even more important for SS to call and execute the play as originally called. Also, Shedeur needs to learn how to take snaps under center and hand the ball off, hide the ball for hand offs in play action before passing and much more.

Last edited:
Couldn't have written it better. Agree 100% and not enough people are seeing or allowing for this not being on the line. It is likely most of the offensive line woes are on SS. Also, some of the passing routes might be on him as well. He needs to let Shurmur be the OC and stop changing and checking out of plays. This is probably why he clashed with the OC Sean Lewis last year and why Lewis left and at least San Diego State knew the problems were not on Lewis or they would not have hired him as their head football coach.. if there is a crowd noise issue, this is even more important for SS to call and execute the play as originally called. Also, Shedeur needs to learn how to take snaps under center and hand the ball off, hide the ball for hand offs in play action before passing and much more.
I'm amazed this was edited.

With some media saying SS is out of the Heisman picture, I see CP doubling down and trying to revive the hope.

IMO, the biggest problem is we don't have a football "Team", as I know the word. The program is built around constant videos and social media. Too much emphasis on a few guys, Too many unskilled coaches. Too much "believe", not enuf hard work. Watching teams like Texas State, it seems they have a lot more togetherness and comradery.

With the success of Canvas Field, Texas A&M is changing their locale's name to Khaki Field. If the two ever have great seasons, they can play in the Cotton Bowl.

The nebruska loss was tough, but not much could be worse than losing to the team replacing us in the Pac 12. Please guys: a good game plan, way less check-offs, total effort.

Go Buffs!

I tend to agree with most of your comments and many others. It seems on that particular play noted, it appears SS dropped to a pass, when the play call was a run in a 80K+ stadium with a ton of crowd noise, hence no coordination. @NE was an awful half of football that put CU behind, then the O has to try playing from behind, not a good recipe. Things spiraled into halftime. The D played better in the 2nd half, and created chances in the 1st half too. That game was a nightmare, so let's turn the page.

On O, I want to see improvement, a good-game plan and executing/sticking with the game-plan, even if it is not the prettiest of wins. I don't like all the negative comments pointing to Daddy ball, as I like SS (probably the most talented NFL caliber QB CU has ever had), however if wants to be a QB1 in the NFL draft (i.e. 1st round pick), SS will have to demonstrate that he can simply execute a game-plan, which includes running the football. If it were to be "Daddy ball," Prime is doing no favors in making the O one dimensional. They have to compete in the time of possession category in the 1st half, which they did not do in either game. IMO, those Oline guys have to be given an opportunity to get off their blocks and just punish going forward (i.e. they have to eat too). Obviously, the RBs have to hit the holes, whoever it is that plays. Cannot forget, the over-riding weapon in the CU offense is exploiting its play-makers for big plays, which are at the QB and WR position--so they can't abandon all their "shots." They have to hit the plays--that is protection, big and small throws and catching the ball. I think we all agree, every other play does not need to be a "shot." I'm not sure there is perfect balance or O system to be had in a 2024 CU O, but an O that executes enough putting points in the board and just wins game is it. A "W" is a "W" and that is it.

On D, put two halves of football together and we build off of that going forward. I thought both teams hit hard last week, and the D has to keep doing that. It will not be perfect, but play really hard as they did both 2nd halves. I would love to see some turnovers and more sacks. I think those will come, if we are not playing from behind and the time of possession battle is manageable. There is not much they can do about CU's quick strike O (which we had v. NDSU), but better O execution can hopefully help with time of possession.

Special teams, they just have to convert. Same sort of execution. Mata has to be autoMataca, or other options. Our punter has to be in the running for B-12 punter of the year. We brought in a certain return guy, and he has to break some plays.

Finally, the coaches just have to be on the same page with each-other and the players. That includes SS. Maybe with his Heisman hopes dimmed, he can maybe dial down the run to pass checks, and have the O run the ball more or look for quick short chunk plays moving the sticks. @cu3x, I like many of your comments, but I don't think they are going to double-down on SS's Heisman hopes, since to realistically win it, CU needs to win 8-9 games with some tough away games--which means dialing back SS's passing on some days. Hunter could be in the running for a Heisman, but if they run Hunter so heavily on O and D, he will get banged up. With Hunter, some teams may double or bracket him on O, then SS needs to exploit other guys in certain games and maybe more runs. Same thing with SS's on usage, if he passes 40-50 times game holding onto the ball waiting for downfield plays, he is going to get hit a bunch even without huge sacks. He needs to understand the running the ball, if it not all that successful/dominant can give him some breather plays keeping him healthy. That is where I dispel Daddy ball, since I don't think that Prime, SS or Hunter get to where they want to be respectively (Heisman/respected coach) with just throwing the ball piling up stats like Hawkins did in his final year. A 6-6 or 7-5 regular season would meet/beat many expectations (Vegas projections), but will not bring a Heisman to CU.

Let's go into Canvas and get it done, just get the "W," however it comes. Same with Baylor. Both games try to stay healthy and get guys back too. The larger changes and more offense schemes/positon changes may start some with CSU, but really put in after the bye week. Go Buffs get the W!

Last edited:
Schitts Creek Wtf GIF by CBC

I was just thinking about the NU game. I know “what if’s” are sort of BS. But “what if” Shedeur doesn’t throw the pick 6, Mata makes the field goal and we don’t botch the interception that turned into a TD? And I know that if those plays are changed the game would go in another direction.
I was thinking about this as well. The pick 6 was a heart breaker. The fluke interception turned TD was another. Mata just isn't cutting it right now.
I think with those plays reversed it's definitely a different game. I'm most concerned about the fact that our O line got pushed all over the field.

The first game tehy did better, but NU has a much bigger/better D line than NDSU did.

Barring a disaster, SS will be a 1st rounder, maybe top-10 pick. A cautionary tale, unless SS shows he can command an offense producing "W's", I could see SS being projected like Josh Rosen (UCLA) who went 10th in 2018 in a QB class. He was the 4th or 5 QB's taken in the 1st round. He played 3 years at UCLA, but really only 2 as he was hurt during his Soph campaign, however his teams were not that great in the "W" category. Still most scouts thought he threw the best ball--plus arm strength, very accurate with some mobility. Some scouts even projected that he was the most "NFL ready." Drafted by the Cardinals.

It did not translate into the NFL and now he is out of the league, even as a back-up. As a rookie, he started game 4 playing out the season, which was a disaster. Traded to Miami was beat out by Ryan Fitzpatrick and never started another game.

Feeling good about this game. Buffs are going to stone the CSU run game defensively and create a bunch of explosive plays on offense while being more balanced and effective with the run game.

At least a 3-score victory margin tomorrow.

I like this. Not sure CU will run it up on the road, but if they win the next 2, with a 3-score victory in either game, I will be feeling pretty good into the bye-week.

With some media saying SS is out of the Heisman picture, I see CP doubling down and trying to revive the hope.

IMO, the biggest problem is we don't have a football "Team", as I know the word. The program is built around constant videos and social media. Too much emphasis on a few guys, Too many unskilled coaches. Too much "believe", not enuf hard work. Watching teams like Texas State, it seems they have a lot more togetherness and comradery.

With the success of Canvas Field, Texas A&M is changing their locale's name to Khaki Field. If the two ever have great seasons, they can play in the Cotton Bowl.

The nebruska loss was tough, but not much could be worse than losing to the team replacing us in the Pac 12. Please guys: a good game plan, way less check-offs, total effort.

Go Buffs!
Not even close to the same PAC12. Why even go there. It's just in name.

Hey! I've logged at least 50 hours on EA College Football 25. How dare you throw shade on my expertise!
Me too. Though, I think I'm still in the 30 hour range, but I'm sure I now understand the X's and O's of college football on a coaching level and could run my own position room. :) I have learned the valuable lesson that you HAVE to run the ball, and it makes a big difference.

Me too. Though, I think I'm still in the 30 hour range, but I'm sure I now understand the X's and O's of college football on a coaching level and could run my own position room. :) I have learned the valuable lesson that you HAVE to run the ball, and it makes a big difference.
The great irony is I'm undefeated in season 2029 and entering the playoffs as the #3 seed. I don't think my leading rusher has 100 yards on the season. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back