What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Rocky Mountain Showdown Pregame Thread - "Must Win for CSU"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Prime actually say? Doesn't look like Jake or RK have anything out there about it
He said they would like to run the ball "at the right time", decision should be based on box situation and what the defense gives to you. And Shedeur has the freedom to change the play call.

He should go back and re-watch the Nebraska game and count how many times Nebraska gives us 5 man box.

I saw that Kahlil Benson took 400+ pass pro snaps at Indiana and only gave up 1 sack. This was at RT, I believe, so naturally we move him to Guard. During the game, it's hard not to rip on specific players, but when looking at things with a broader lens, I'm done blaming the specific players on the OL. This is a solid group that is being left out to dry by an offensive scheme that is forcing them to be elite one on one pass blockers on every play.

He said they would like to run the ball "at the right time", decision should be based on box situation and what the defense gives to you. And Shedeur has the freedom to change the play call.

He should go back and re-watch the Nebraska game and count how many times Nebraska gives us 5 man box.
I AM 100% SURE this is the issue with our offense the last two years. Even with limited knowledge of the NU game I do think Shedeur is constantly checking us out of run plays in favor of pass plays. I think this happened last year as well and is a large part of what caused the conflict between HCP and Lewis. I love SS2's potential, but he needs to fvcking realize he may not be the smartest guy in the stadium every week.

I saw that Kahlil Benson took 400+ pass pro snaps at Indiana and only gave up 1 sack. This was at RT, I believe, so naturally we move him to Guard. During the game, it's hard not to rip on specific players, but when looking at things with a broader lens, I'm done blaming the specific players on the OL. This is a solid group that is being left out to dry by an offensive scheme that is forcing them to be elite one on one pass blockers on every play after making sure that Dlineman they are facing know with absolute certainty that their only concern is getting to the QB.
FIFY

I saw that Kahlil Benson took 400+ pass pro snaps at Indiana and only gave up 1 sack. This was at RT, I believe, so naturally we move him to Guard. During the game, it's hard not to rip on specific players, but when looking at things with a broader lens, I'm done blaming the specific players on the OL. This is a solid group that is being left out to dry by an offensive scheme that is forcing them to be elite one on one pass blockers on every play.
Benson = RT
Johnson = RG
Brown = C
LG = Meyers
LT = Seaton

SHOUT IT FROM THE FVCKING MOUNTAINTOPS!

and Shedeur changing the play at the last second probably has the OL on a different protection called

I AM 100% SURE this is the issue with our offense the last two years. Even with limited knowledge of the NU game I do think Shedeur is constantly checking us out of run plays in favor of pass plays. I think this happened last year as well and is a large part of what caused the conflict between HCP and Lewis. I love SS2's potential, but he needs to fvcking realize he may not be the smartest guy in the stadium every week.
Serious question Da lama…Do most college QB’s get the green light to change the plays at the LOS? I thought that was just a pro thing.

So I’m interpreting the significant offensive regression under this staff is potentially in large part due to SS2 increasingly calling his own plays?

So I’m interpreting the significant offensive regression under this staff is potentially in large part due to SS2 increasingly calling his own plays?
The theory now is that Pat Shurmur is likely calling more designed runs, but when the defense moves around after the 15 second play clock mark where comms shut off, Shedeur believes he has favorable passing matchups. As with everything, I'm sure the problem lies somewhere in the middle.

Serious question Da lama…Do most college QB’s get the green light to change the plays at the LOS? I thought that was just a pro thing.
No. Some do because they've either been running the same offense for multiple years, they have a higher acumen and their OC trusts them to check into a limited set of plays, or a combination of both of these things. I do believe SS2 might have more freedom than any other QB I've seen this year. As I said earlier today, SS2 needs to stop thinking he's the smartest person in the stadium every game. The staff also needs to stop treating him like he is.

No. Some do because they've either been running the same offense for multiple years, they have a higher acumen and their OC trusts them to check into a limited set of plays, or a combination of both of these things. I do believe SS2 might have more freedom than any other QB I've seen this year. As I said earlier today, SS2 needs to stop thinking he's the smartest person in the stadium every game. The staff also needs to stop treating him like he is.
That is some serious BS! No wonder this kid is such a prima Donna. WTAF!!!!!

He hasn’t earned ****!!

The theory now is that Pat Shurmur is likely calling more designed runs, but when the defense moves around after the 15 second play clock mark where comms shut off, Shedeur believes he has favorable passing matchups. As with everything, I'm sure the problem lies somewhere in the middle.
and I would think a seasoned D coordinator knows how to deal with that.

There’s a wide range of flexibility based on the system, QB, and specific play. For instance, some plays will require the qb audible out of a play if the D is showing man or zone or if they’re heavily showing blitz. More often they have flexibility to switch on a 3rd down pass than a 1st down run.

There’s a wide range of flexibility based on the system, QB, and specific play. For instance, some plays will require the qb audible out of a play if the D is showing man or zone or if they’re heavily showing blitz. More often they have flexibility to switch on a 3rd down pass than a 1st down run.
True, but most teams until this year employed a "Check with me" system (example: Mizzou very successfully under Drinkwitz) that allows for a play change at the LOS, but directed by the OC, not the QB.

This should be even easier now with QB helmet headsets. The problem with us is that it sounds like SS2 is making the call, not the OC.

Same. Decades later and I still don't feel at my best unless I massage the area daily.

Gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers...

That is some serious BS! No wonder this kid is such a prima Donna. WTAF!!!!!

He hasn’t earned ****!!
I would counter that he has to some extent. It's one of the reasons NFL scouts are so high on him. He knows how to play the position really well. That said, sometimes coaches need to be in a QBs ear shouting, "STFU and run the play called!"

True, but most teams until this year employed a "Check with me" system (example: Mizzou very successfully under Drinkwitz) that allows for a play change at the LOS, but directed by the OC, not the QB.

This should be even easier now with QB helmet headsets. The problem with us is that it sounds like SS2 is making the call, not the OC.
Well, the difference is that the comms shut off at the 15 second mark, so unless you have a system for using the comms and then a check with me system, that's not going to work.

Well, the difference is that the comms shut off at the 15 second mark, so unless you have a system for using the comms and then a check with me system, that's not going to work.
I think a big issue is also our lack of shifts and motion. From what I've seen there is not much we do to put defenses in conflict pre-snap. Sure, we may change the play, but nothing changes at the LOS to make the defense also have to adjust/overthink.

We had check with me scenarios in HS FB. But, there were pretty narrow choices. If you saw A, play change to B. Pretty simple stuff, but I would imagine a CFB QB has some latitude. The big question none of us will probably ever know is if SS2 is completely going off script and calling totally different stuff than the OC called.

Well then, the OC and the QB better be on the same page by game day as to situationally what they will check into based on what the defense shows. I wonder if Shurmur and SS2 are in that regard?

We had check with me scenarios in HS FB. But, there were pretty narrow choices. If you saw A, play change to B. Pretty simple stuff, but I would imagine a CFB QB has some latitude. The big question none of us will probably ever know is if SS2 is completely going off script and calling totally different stuff than the OC called.
This is what I'm wondering. The OC and the QB should be in total synch by gameday on what they expect to see and what the QB can and can't check into.

Simply put, I believe that any time a run play is signaled in that Shedeur is frustrated by the call and considers it a waste of an opportunity. So if he sees anything, he's going to change it to a passing play he has some confidence in. And if he sees a bad setup for the run play but is annoyed with having just gotten lectured on "stick to the run" then he'll go forward with a hopeless run call so he can say "I told you so."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back