What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Network is restructuring

Beyond cringeworthy

Until we get into conference play, every conference network is like that. It's the main impetus behind stopping the scheduling of FCS teams. Not only do those have a negative impact on home attendance, they kill programming for the conference networks.

This is the thread where there was and has been much hang ringing about not being a part of DirecTV.

The company's satellite TV division DirecTV reported a net loss of 359,000 subscribers for the quarter. Analysts had expected AT&T to shed 245,000 satellite subscribers, according to FactSet. It lost 251,000 in the same period last year.

The division's direct-to-consumer streaming play, DirecTV Now, added just 49,000 subscribers during the period. That's significantly lower than the 296,000 subscribers DirecTV Now added last year and the well below the 287,000 net customers analysts were predicting, according to FactSet.

The dust is not only not settling, it's still being kicked up quite a bit.

It doesnt appear that things will get better anytime soon either.

A July report:
Cord-Cutting Keeps Churning:

U.S. Pay-TV Cancelers to Hit 33 Million in 2018 (Study)

emarketer-us-pay-tv-ott-july-2018.png

This year, the number of cord-cutters in the U.S. — consumers who have ever cancelled traditional pay-TV service and do not resubscribe — will climb 32.8%, to 33.0 million adults, according to new estimates from research firm eMarketer. That’s compared with a total of 24.9 million cord-cutters as of the end of 2017, which was up 43.6% year over year (and an upward revision from eMarketer’s previous 22 million estimate).

Im not sure what they Pac-12 Network does that will make anyone happy. It will probably not ever reach the numbers people were hoping for.

Direct streaming will have a limited revenue stream. The market says month to month, pay as you go is the new normal. So expect P12N fans to sign up during football season, maybe some stay for basketball season, and certainly cancel for the summer.

Having no partner corporate overlord might allow us to have more programing. But not the revenue to pay for it. At some point ESPN is going to cut ties with one of its networks for cost reasons. Probably curtail programming and stuff that gets covered to save money but reduce that conferences exposure. And eventually I expect they will circle the wagon around the SEC. It would never have been around us.

Whatever the future is, hopefully the P12N sees it and given its freedom jumps on it quickly. Good luck.

If the PAC 12 network is smart, they’ll position themselves as a cord cutter source for college athletics. Not just Pac 12 athletics, either. Get some other conferences on board and start streaming now. Get the Big East for hoops. Try to get the ACC and Big 12 on board to help with content and year round revenue streams. The days of big network contracts are done. They were fun while they lasted.

I’m one of the ones who has never paid for cable. It’s a gigantic waste of hard earned money. I’m still waiting for the day that I can subscribe to just sports, 100% sports so I can watch all my teams.

If the PAC 12 network is smart, they’ll position themselves as a cord cutter source for college athletics. Not just Pac 12 athletics, either. Get some other conferences on board and start streaming now. Get the Big East for hoops. Try to get the ACC and Big 12 on board to help with content and year round revenue streams. The days of big network contracts are done. They were fun while they lasted.

Mountain West's media rights expire after next season. That would be a near monopoly of the western US if the P12 & MW are under one roof. The West Coast Conference's media rights deal expires after this season as well. This would leave just the Big West, WAC, and Big Sky which do not have the numbers to stand on their own. The Big Sky already has a year to year deal with Pluto TV.

I think we can very well expect single & season ticket price hikes to go up in the coming years as to soften the blow of not having that steady revenue stream.

Anyone know that they can watch condensed MW games for free on YouTube? Here's the recent CSU-BSU game which is a little under 25 minutes. I know we have Football in 60 on the P12N but I would happily pay a monthly streaming charge to watch those P12 games on demand just like ESPN+.

Hmmmm... This may not bode well for future rights bidding and something that brightens the future for the P12N.

Fox is trying to position itself as a growth company and the FSNs are not growing.

Disney is left with nearly no bidders and thus are unloading the FS Networks no where near a premium valuation. The theory being that no one wants these due to expensive future contracts and the cord cutting cord nevers trend.

Sinclair Broadcasting, the sole bidder so far, only owns affiliate stations and is not a broadcasting network like an NBC or CBS. They will also apparently need private equity or some 3rd party private funding vehicle to complete the deal.

Amazon, whom we had pinned some hopes on last year, now only now wants the Yes Network which would be broken out of Fox Sports Network. Apparently MLB (or its contract) threw a wrench into the deal where Amazon would buy the whole thing either on costs to Amazon or the ability to distribute.

So now we’re down to bidders like this....

Neither Sinclair or Ice Cube inspire me to believe that rights are going to be bid up even higher at the next go round. Amazon dropping out is a bad sign.

Last edited:
Nothing new really, but a little more insight into the thought process of seeking out a $500m investor for a 10% ownership in the P12 Media Rights Holding Company. It all sounds good, in theory, and hopefully the Pac 12 ends up being the smartest conference in the room and being able to partner with a big time company. Really need to on-field product to take a step forward these next few years.

is anyone asking question:

why equity partner is necessary to even playing field with conferences that have higher revenues?
if 100% of revenues aren't enough to compete
after giving equity partner 10% of revenues
university partners now splitting just 90% of what wasn't enough

huh?

"we don't have enough money to compete with other conferences. so we're going to sell 10% of all future conference earnings in a short sided one-time cash grab, hampering pac12 schools to compete with only even less of a share of projected future revenues that wasn't enough in the first place. that makes perfect sense, right?"

makes about as much sense as selling off buffs hwy to private ownership (36)

is anyone asking question:

why equity partner is necessary to even playing field with conferences that have higher revenues?
if 100% of revenues aren't enough to compete
after giving equity partner 10% of revenues
university partners now splitting just 90% of what wasn't enough

huh?

"we don't have enough money to compete with other conferences. so we're going to sell 10% of all future conference earnings in a short sided one-time cash grab, hampering pac12 schools to compete with only even less of a share of projected future revenues that wasn't enough in the first place. that makes perfect sense, right?"

makes about as much sense as selling off buffs hwy to private ownership (36)
I don't think you really understood what you read (if you even read that article). It's not about getting $500m in cash and giving 10% of the profits to an investor while maintaining status quo. The $500m is to make up the current (and next few years) revenue gap between the Pac 12 and other top conferences, until the new media deals can be obtained in 2024. Once they are obtained, the media rights revenue would be split 90/10, but at a much more competitive media deal (in theory). It's also not 10% ownership in the conference, but just the media rights holding company that is being formed. It's also about adding a strategic partner to help navigate the distribution landscape in 2024 and beyond, to which extent isn't known yet.

Btw, it's good to hear from DiStefano that the P12 is placing an emphasis on Athletics... At least publicly.
In a news release issued early Monday announcing The Raine Group’s advisory role, DiStefano mentioned the need “to provide maximum support for our University athletic departments and our student-athletes.”

Why not sell a stake to the ACC and Big 12? Add content, add viewership, add clout, add national scope. Become a distributor for all of college athletics.

How is the Pac supposed to catch up when their product and fan base is inferior to the other conferences?

And why would anyone trust in Scott's ability to negotiate a contract after his constant ineptitude in the past? Dude is the Bernie Bickerstaff of college sports.

Why not sell a stake to the ACC and Big 12? Add content, add viewership, add clout, add national scope. Become a distributor for all of college athletics.
I have no idea about the feasibility, but a mega network with Pac 12, ACC and Big 12 would be interesting, assuming equal rev sharing/distribution.

I have no idea about the feasibility, but a mega network with Pac 12, ACC and Big 12 would be interesting, assuming equal rev sharing/distribution.
feels a bit like a one-way street. I think there are fans on the East coast that would love to see west coast games in the evenings. I'm not sure there are west coast fans that want to see East coast games during the days, at least games that aren't already on the prime stations in the prime slots.

feels a bit like a one-way street. I think there are fans on the East coast that would love to see west coast games in the evenings. I'm not sure there are west coast fans that want to see East coast games during the days, at least games that aren't already on the prime stations in the prime slots.
I would imagine East Coasters probably care about the same for a CU vs Arizona matchup as West Coasters do about a UNC vs Syracuse matchup. Of course there would be apathy toward various games, but imagine having a subscription to the "Pac12/Big12/ACC Network" with like 6 different channels airing games from those three conferences through the day on Saturdays. This is such a simplistic idea that I'm sure it's not even feasible, but it's a cool concept, IMO.

The obstacles, as I see them, are that The ACC just signed in with ESPN. That contract is going to run for a few years. The problem with the B12 is Texas. It’s always Texas.

If the pac-12 owns all of its content I don’t see why they don’t make these channels their own subscription service? Why do they NEED DirecTV if they can sell a package to consumers who don’t want a TV package. I would pay $120 for a yearly package to stream any and all conference games. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who would be interested in that. I don’t pay for TV, I never have. Sometimes I do a free trial to catch an event or I pay for a month of sling to watch a few buffs games. But if I actually could pay and have the channel 24-7, I’d watch more content from it, as long as they don’t push local blackouts like MLB TV does. Either way, I don’t see why they can’t, maybe some of you have insight into why they can’t? Seems like a win win to me, you aren’t losing anything by having options.

“The future is all about smaller sports (packages) and the ability to slice and dice, so you’ve got, let’s say, Colorado games for $10 a month for fans living anywhere.“

They’re starting to think like me!!! I wish I could remember where I made this comment but I made this EXACT comment asking why you can’t pay $10-15 a month for CU football games. That’s what people want!

“The future is all about smaller sports (packages) and the ability to slice and dice, so you’ve got, let’s say, Colorado games for $10 a month for fans living anywhere.“

They’re starting to think like me!!! I wish I could remember where I made this comment but I made this EXACT comment asking why you can’t pay $10-15 a month for CU football games. That’s what people want!
Obviously a lot to figure out in that model, but as long as there’s still equal revenue share across the Pac 12 schools, I’m cool with that. Something tells me, however, if CU games are $10/mo, UW, SC, and Oregon games are $25/mo, and I don’t see a way where CU gets as much revenue as those three of that’s the case

Obviously a lot to figure out in that model, but as long as there’s still equal revenue share across the Pac 12 schools, I’m cool with that. Something tells me, however, if CU games are $10/mo, UW, SC, and Oregon games are $25/mo, and I don’t see a way where CU gets as much revenue as those three of that’s the case

Hmm. I would hope Larry Scott isn’t that ****ing stupid to put a premium on certain teams. Everyone and everything has to cost and make the same amount.

If I'm not mistaken DTV offered this where you can basically do PPV for certain P12 network games but LS balked at that. I would've signed up for that in a heartbeat.

If I'm not mistaken DTV offered this where you can basically do PPV for certain P12 network games but LS balked at that. I would've signed up for that in a heartbeat.

Me too! I just want to watch a few sports games now and again. I’m not going to turn on ****ing lifetime and watch a movie ever or anything else for that matter and cable and dish is outrageous.

I don't think you really understood what you read (if you even read that article). It's not about getting $500m in cash and giving 10% of the profits to an investor while maintaining status quo. The $500m is to make up the current (and next few years) revenue gap between the Pac 12 and other top conferences, until the new media deals can be obtained in 2024. Once they are obtained, the media rights revenue would be split 90/10, but at a much more competitive media deal (in theory). It's also not 10% ownership in the conference, but just the media rights holding company that is being formed. It's also about adding a strategic partner to help navigate the distribution landscape in 2024 and beyond, to which extent isn't known yet.

Btw, it's good to hear from DiStefano that the P12 is placing an emphasis on Athletics... At least publicly.

This. The conference is essentially ceding its media rights, and probably the negotiations, to a pure capitalist entity. One thats good at negotiating and will have skin the game to fight for a bigger piece of the pie. It's either genius or the rope that will hang larry scott.

DirecTV is a dinosaur of a failed business model. Now their streaming service DTV Now is also losing subscribers.

AT&T’s DirecTV Now is losing the cord cutters

AT&T’s live TV streaming service, DirecTV Now, is not doing so well. Along with AT&T’s fourth-quarter earnings released this morning, the company reported a sizable loss of 267,000 DirecTV Now subscribers. This left AT&T with fewer DirecTV Now customers at the end of the year (1.6 million), than it had in Q2 (1.8 million).
The company attributed the decline to the end of promotional-package pricing, which sometimes saw the service priced as low as $10 per month for an introductory period. It had also offered device giveaways — like Roku streaming sticks or Apple TV boxes — to encourage signups.

AT&T says its “discounted introductory offers ended,” which resulted in the dramatic loss.

But that’s masking a larger concern. DirecTV Now subscribers didn’t see the value in paying full price for streaming live TV via AT&T’s service, even though its streaming packages start at $40 per month — which is a competitive price point among similar live TV services

More concerning for DirecTV Now’s future is that AT&T believes the answer to concerns is to raise prices and reduce the number of channels. As The Wall St. Journal recently reported, AT&T execs think newcomers like Google’s YouTube TV are subsidizing an unprofitable service. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in December that DirecTV Now will not do that — in fact, it’s in the process of “thinning the content out” to keep the price tag around “$50 to $60” — meaning, at least $10 per month more than it is today.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/30/atts-directv-now-is-losing-the-cord-cutters/

Comcast, Dish, DirecTV to raise TV prices to counter cord-cutting

Cable and satellite providers are hoping to squeeze more money from consumers who remain loyal to their packages with hundreds of channels, Philip Cusick, a JPMorgan Chase analyst, said in a note this week, even though "this strategy could accelerate video sub declines."

The latest price increases come as cord-cutting accelerates. In the third quarter, the TV industry saw its largest ever rate of decline, with subscribers shrinking by 3.7 percent, according to MoffettNathanson. Consumers are dropping traditional TV for lower-cost online options like Netflix Inc. and slimmer TV options from Hulu and YouTube. DirecTV is raising rates on all English-language video packages by $3 to $8 a month while hiking fees for regional sports networks by $1 to $1.90 in most markets.

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2...-raise-tv-prices-to-counter-cord-cutting.html

DirecTV is a dinosaur of a failed business model. Now their streaming service DTV Now is also losing subscribers.

AT&T’s DirecTV Now is losing the cord cutters

AT&T’s live TV streaming service, DirecTV Now, is not doing so well. Along with AT&T’s fourth-quarter earnings released this morning, the company reported a sizable loss of 267,000 DirecTV Now subscribers. This left AT&T with fewer DirecTV Now customers at the end of the year (1.6 million), than it had in Q2 (1.8 million).
The company attributed the decline to the end of promotional-package pricing, which sometimes saw the service priced as low as $10 per month for an introductory period. It had also offered device giveaways — like Roku streaming sticks or Apple TV boxes — to encourage signups.

AT&T says its “discounted introductory offers ended,” which resulted in the dramatic loss.

But that’s masking a larger concern. DirecTV Now subscribers didn’t see the value in paying full price for streaming live TV via AT&T’s service, even though its streaming packages start at $40 per month — which is a competitive price point among similar live TV services

More concerning for DirecTV Now’s future is that AT&T believes the answer to concerns is to raise prices and reduce the number of channels. As The Wall St. Journal recently reported, AT&T execs think newcomers like Google’s YouTube TV are subsidizing an unprofitable service. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in December that DirecTV Now will not do that — in fact, it’s in the process of “thinning the content out” to keep the price tag around “$50 to $60” — meaning, at least $10 per month more than it is today.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/30/atts-directv-now-is-losing-the-cord-cutters/

Comcast, Dish, DirecTV to raise TV prices to counter cord-cutting

Cable and satellite providers are hoping to squeeze more money from consumers who remain loyal to their packages with hundreds of channels, Philip Cusick, a JPMorgan Chase analyst, said in a note this week, even though "this strategy could accelerate video sub declines."

The latest price increases come as cord-cutting accelerates. In the third quarter, the TV industry saw its largest ever rate of decline, with subscribers shrinking by 3.7 percent, according to MoffettNathanson. Consumers are dropping traditional TV for lower-cost online options like Netflix Inc. and slimmer TV options from Hulu and YouTube. DirecTV is raising rates on all English-language video packages by $3 to $8 a month while hiking fees for regional sports networks by $1 to $1.90 in most markets.

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2...-raise-tv-prices-to-counter-cord-cutting.html

Lol ATT and directv deserve each other. With dish and their over priced contracts they impose on you if you ever choose to switch. ATT with their dishonest commercials about how great they are and 5G and all the other lies, they also have horrible cell reception.

I noticed sling dropped Cinemax and HBO due to them asking for more money. I give it 5 years and they’ll have their way and it’ll cost $100+ for streaming TV. I’m just not jumping in, I’d rather play my guitar, hike, watch a movie at home or in a theater, walk my dogs, go to a sporting event etc than pay for any of this. Bunch of greedy ****s running all of these companies. I’ll stick to Netflix (for now) and Hulu when I want to relax and watch something to kill some time.

Lol ATT and directv deserve each other. With dish and their over priced contracts they impose on you if you ever choose to switch. ATT with their dishonest commercials about how great they are and 5G and all the other lies, they also have horrible cell reception.

I noticed sling dropped Cinemax and HBO due to them asking for more money. I give it 5 years and they’ll have their way and it’ll cost $100+ for streaming TV. I’m just not jumping in, I’d rather play my guitar, hike, watch a movie at home or in a theater, walk my dogs, go to a sporting event etc than pay for any of this. Bunch of greedy ****s running all of these companies. I’ll stick to Netflix (for now) and Hulu when I want to relax and watch something to kill some time.
You hike, play guitar and have a dog? With that awesome life, how do you have time to post thousands of times on Allbuffs?

Ha. Meant no disrespect. Just needed a chuckle on Monday afternoon.

Back