What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

Pointing out the obvious but I think it needs to be continuously hammered home until it changes.

This wouldn’t be a big story if Prime was a white dude. The veiled racism across “journalism” continues to be gross
It's not race...it's specifically c to Prime saying it. If this was Jay Norvell, no one would even know about it.

If half the people believe trump, despite reality, then half will believe Finebaum and Co. Add in race and CP's outspokenness, and may 60% believe CU is another U of Miami and CP is practically a devil. Imo:

CU will be targeted as the #1 opponent by a lot of teams. I think more than last year.
CU players have tons of bulletin board material, know that national media will be scrutinizing all of them and should be incredibly motivated.
These repeat attacks on both CP and the CU program have to draw them closer. Having common enemies builds lasting bonds

We should be looking to develop attitudes of strong, quiet confidence - let the other guys scream and yell.

Go Buffs!

I'm not sure that's true.
There is example after example of white coaches having feuds with the press. And I think it’s a bit troubling that if the media gets in a spat with a black coach the race card gets thrown out. Implying that Keeler is a racist because he is critical of Prime troubles me a bit. But that doesn’t mean Keeler isn’t a hack.

There is example after example of white coaches having feuds with the press. And I think it’s a bit troubling that if the media gets in a spat with a black coach the race card gets thrown out. Implying that Keeler is a racist because he is critical of Prime troubles me a bit. But that doesn’t mean Keeler isn’t a hack.
It's best not to think of Keeler as specifically racist, as much as it is unconscious bias built into the media industry

He's yet another wannabe jock sniffer that local media is filled with in every city. They can't give you an ounce of real in-depth football insight, so they write to shock and hope somebody reads it. I want to see someone throw him a football. I bet it would be hilarious to watch.

He's yet another wannabe jock sniffer that local media is filled with in every city. They can't give you an ounce of real in-depth football insight, so they write to shock and hope somebody reads it. I want to see someone throw him a football. I bet it would be hilarious to watch.
Jake and RK said that Keeler showed up on Monday and pressed Seaton about liking/not liking Colorado at first and then turned his back to Camden Dempsey when he was addressing the Athlon stuff. Basically, people who think Keeler is just showing up, being professional, asking questions and then taking a negative slant to his columns don’t actually know how he behaves on a consistent basis. He’s a child.

Prime draws the spotlight and even encourages a "with us or against us" situation with the media. But why would anyone in Denver media join the "against us" contingent? I'd understand it from someone who was in Omaha or SLC or whatever. But to be a hater on the Colorado HC and program as a Denver sports reporter who isn't a CSU beat writer? That's really weird.

And when the media person wasn't like this in the past to CU and its coach while probably the biggest difference is the unedited and unapologetic "Blackness", it does make me think that the change in that media person's reporting is coming from somewhere on the scale between "Black culture is unfamiliar and unconsciously off putting to me" and "racist asshole".

Agree with @Duff Man and particularly his point that college coaches do not like being challenged (probably because they simply aren't used to it). I think coaches should be above that kind of pettiness and just be better but it is what it is, I guess.
I see a difference between punching down and counterpunching down.

Whether it's productive or beneficial for Prime to air this stuff out and escalate is a fair debate and question, but I don't see him doing so as a moral or ethical issue like it seems to be treated.

It’s more than coaches not liking being challenged, IMO. It’s the sports media complex that has been controlling the narrative around these coaches and players for years, playing large roles in the fan sentiment and them getting fired.

Why should coaches “be above” challenging media members? What do people think they have the authority to tell them how to act toward media members who are hostile toward them?

It’s more than coaches not liking being challenged, IMO. It’s the sports media complex that has been controlling the narrative around these coaches and players for years, playing large roles in the fan sentiment and them getting fired.

Why should coaches “be above” challenging media members? What do people think they have the authority to tell them how to act toward media members who are hostile toward them?
On that note, to use an example with Keeler and putting myself in Prime's shoes: if someone wrote about me that I was a false prophet and then showed up at my press event to ask me questions, I would feel justified in saying that I would not engage until he explained why he had a problem with me and we were able to come to an understanding of each other. Can someone explain to me why I would be in the wrong?

Jake and RK said that Keeler showed up on Monday and pressed Seaton about liking/not liking Colorado at first and then turned his back to Camden Dempsey when he was addressing the Athlon stuff. Basically, people who think Keeler is just showing up, being professional, asking questions and then taking a negative slant to his columns don’t actually know how he behaves on a consistent basis. He’s a child.
It's one thing to do that to a 29 yo NFL pro. It's another to do it to an 18 yo Freshman.

On that note, to use an example with Keeler and putting myself in Prime's shoes: if someone wrote about me that I was a false prophet and then showed up at my press event to ask me questions, I would feel justified in saying that I would not engage until he explained why he had a problem with me and we were able to come to an understanding of each other. Can someone explain to me why I would be in the wrong?
Plus the fake 'my man' comment was totally off putting, cringe worthy and maybe even a bit racist too.

Prime is supposed to give full access to someone who has actively been going around his program trying to stir up controversy and trouble? Really?

I am willing to have an open-minded discussion on whether the feud with CBS resulting in punitive measures against someone like Eric Christensen is unfair and wrong. I think that is an honest conversation. But that needs to be separated from Keeler.

Prime draws the spotlight and even encourages a "with us or against us" situation with the media. But why would anyone in Denver media join the "against us" contingent? I'd understand it from someone who was in Omaha or SLC or whatever. But to be a hater on the Colorado HC and program as a Denver sports reporter who isn't a CSU beat writer? That's really weird.

And when the media person wasn't like this in the past to CU and its coach while probably the biggest difference is the unedited and unapologetic "Blackness", it does make me think that the change in that media person's reporting is coming from somewhere on the scale between "Black culture is unfamiliar and unconsciously off putting to me" and "racist asshole".
Did Keeler love on MacIntyre and rip Tucker and Dorrell? If so, then that’d indicate he’s a racist. To my knowledge that isn’t the case.

Last edited:
Did Keeler love on McIntyre and rip Tucker and Dorrell? If so, then that’d indicate he’s a racist. To my knowledge that isn’t the case.
I don't know, but it's not as simple as that. For example, someone could have some underlying (or overt) racism in their attitudes and reactions if they liked Tony Dungy as "one of the good ones" who comports himself in a way that is comfortable and he "happens to be Black" but then really dislikes Mike Tomlin who never speaks and acts in a way that allows you to forget that he's Black. And this isn't to say that Dungy isn't authentic or somehow turned in his Black card, but to say that if someone can't be true to who they are, their upbringing and their cultural experience without you reacting negatively to them while they aren't objectively doing anything wrong - the problem is with you and the baggage you're carrying which is somewhere on the spectrum from bias to bigotry.

Did Keeler love on MacIntyre and rip Tucker and Dorrell? If so, then that’d indicate he’s a racist. To my knowledge that isn’t the case.
Seconding Nik here.

Deion is unapologetically black, it's a huge difference in the way people's subconscious biases play out.

Not sure with this reporter or this instance, but in a broad generalization Deion gets more criticism as a result of how he looks, talks, and dresses. Much of that is heavily influenced by race.

Seconding Nik here.

Deion is unapologetically black, it's a huge difference in the way people's subconscious biases play out.

Not sure with this reporter or this instance, but in a broad generalization Deion gets more criticism as a result of how he looks, talks, and dresses. Much of that is heavily influenced by race.
third here. saying "i'm not racist, but i dont like [how he talks, the clothes he wears, his attitude, rap music, dancing, etc.]" is just showing disrespect for the culture and the history that has influenced that

Seconding Nik here.

Could it be just that he basically ran off 50 +/- players, the way he did it, that he’s brash, outspoken and isn’t very press friendly?

I mean, I love the guy and think he’s a Godsend. He saved the program at a critical time in college football. But you can’t start calling reporters racist if they are critical.

Could it be just that he basically ran off 50 +/- players, the way he did it, that he’s brash, outspoken and isn’t very press friendly?

I mean, I love the guy and think he’s a Godsend. He saved the program at a critical time in college football. But you can’t start calling reporters racist if they are critical.
As soon as I see a national hit piece on Bronco Mendenhall for having 60 new players his first year at UNM, I'll be more open to that.

As soon as I see a national hit piece on Bronco Mendenhall for having 60 new players his first year at UNM, I'll be more open to that.
You mean if the national media actually wrote anything about UNM? I did hear he told the players that he inherited that they better be ready because he was bringing in American Tourister.

They had 26 players transfer out. In Prime’s 1st year he had 57.

Last edited:
He's going to be him, I don't want him to change, why would I? I'd be embarrassed if my coach acted like a ****ing baby though. Remember when Mike Bellotti(an all around great dude) said that the MWC couldn't hang with Pac-X talent before a bowl game with BYU that the Ducks proceeded to lose by 5 touchdowns? That was ****ing AWFUL, embarrassing, cringe AF. I can call a spade a spade, can you?
Are you open to admitting that Lanning was a dickbag when he said "we play for wins, not clicks" on the same game in which the Ducks were introducing rainbow, temperature activated shoes?

And after beating the stuffing out of the Buffs, Lanning said, "we prepared for a battle, but didn't get one." Keeping in mind the ducks were over 20 point favorites in that game. What kind of dick denigrates a team he just whupped? What's your take on Lanning? How open are you to calling a spade a spade?

And you brought up nebraska coaches. Obviously, we don't love anybody associated with the nebraska program. However, we generally celebrated Pelini's clashes with the press. And I personally was a Riley fan (even before he started losing) and used to say how hard it was for me that somebody I respected coached at nebraska. I don't remember getting a lot of pushback on that.

Prime seems pretty slow to anger, and even in this case he said, "let's work this out". So my impression is that he was responding to something larger than a CBS hit-piece in this case. Does Prime sometimes say things that make me a little uncomfortable? Sure. However, in my eyes, he has earned the benefit of the doubt around his intentions.

I think the pushback you're encountering is because Prime does/says some great things for our team and community, and he appears to do them for the right reasons. But in my opinion, the media don't typically portray him accurately or fairly.

Back