What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

As soon as I see a national hit piece on Bronco Mendenhall for having 60 new players his first year at UNM, I'll be more open to that.
I think Oregon’s coach is brash and I ****ing hate him for it. I just don’t like it. Same with Tony Vitello at Tennessee. But is it ok because they are dicks, and racist if I don’t like when Sanders does it?

I think Oregon’s coach is brash and I ****ing hate him for it. I just don’t like it. Same with Tony Vitello at Tennessee. But is it ok because they are dicks, and racist if I don’t like when Sanders does it?
Of course not. As long as you are consistent, it has nothing to do with race. It's the singling Prime out while praising or glossing it over when White coaches do similar which strongly suggests that racism is at play.

Of course not. As long as you are consistent, it has nothing to do with race. It's the singling Prime out while praising or glossing it over when White coaches do similar which strongly suggests that racism is at play.
Rog. But I feel like some on this board make no exception - you take issue with Sanders’ brashness…you’re a racist. And I’m not talking about just relating this to the press.
But I appreciate your level-headedness.

I loathe cockiness and arrogance (confidence is different). My son keeps popping off with **** and it’s a daily smack down.

Haven’t heard a single national media member seriously go in on Kirby for a lack of control over his program. I heard a little about Gundy’s drunk driving comments, but no real criticism.

I’m not chalking that up to race, although I think it’s part of the conversation. I think it’s mostly about winning. College coaches who win don’t face much scrutiny or challenge from the media with those things.

Prime is facing both issues. He’s an unapologetically confident black man who brought so much hype and proceeded to go 4-8. IMO, that’s mostly what this is about and I think it mostly goes away if CU wins 7+ games

Haven’t heard a single national media member seriously go in on Kirby for a lack of control over his program. I heard a little about Gundy’s drunk driving comments, but no real criticism.

I’m not chalking that up to race, although I think it’s part of the conversation. I think it’s mostly about winning. College coaches who win don’t face much scrutiny or challenge from the media with those things.

Prime is facing both issues. He’s an unapologetically confident black man who brought so much hype and proceeded to go 4-8. IMO, that’s mostly what this is about and I think it mostly goes away if CU wins 7+ games
I don't recall much push back when Kiffin called out Paul Finebaum a couple weeks ago

Yes, mostly.

What you do need to worry about is the "as long they act like they belong to traditional, upper class white society, I'm fine with it" school of thought.

Someone can rip on "white trash" cultural markers, and also rip on traditionally black cultural markers.

That they rip on both equally may not make them the worst "type" of racist, but it's also pretty clearly a statement of preference for a particular version of white culture.

Basically, there's a bit of racism involved with any statement that "I would like _____ person more, if they only acted more like my own social group."

Rog. But I feel like some on this board make no exception - you take issue with Sanders’ brashness…you’re a racist. And I’m not talking about just relating this to the press.
But I appreciate your level-headedness.

I loathe cockiness and arrogance (confidence is different). My son keeps popping off with **** and it’s a daily smack down.
Fwiw, I look at "Prime Time" as a persona and brand he developed for promotional purposes. It doesn't always appeal to me but I have fun enjoying the show. Deion Sanders the man is someone I respect and admire. He's the type of person I'm proud to have leading our program and setting standards in our community.

Yes, mostly.

What you do need to worry about is the "as long they act like they belong to traditional, upper class white society, I'm fine with it" school of thought.

Someone can rip on "white trash" cultural markers, and also rip on traditionally black cultural markers.

That they rip on both equally may not make them the worst "type" of racist, but it's also pretty clearly a statement of preference for a particular version of white culture.

Basically, there's a bit of racism involved with any statement that "I would like _____ person more, if they only acted more like my own social group."
Earlier, I almost posted something about this. How if you come from a poor community the way to make it is to stand out. Being understated is often a luxury of the privileged.

Fwiw, I look at "Prime Time" as a persona and brand he developed for promotional purposes. It doesn't always appeal to me but I have fun enjoying the show. Deion Sanders the man is someone I respect and admire. He's the type of person I'm proud to have leading our program and setting standards in our community.
agree. And I’ve already been flame-sprayed for this, but I still feel like in public presentations, there should be a different demeanor than you have with your team. As a senior military leader, I’ve had to do that for the better part of my career. When I’m with my command/sqdrn/wharever, I’m a crass, talk in movie quotes, sarcastic, and I inject humor into everything. When I give speeches, press conferences, or interviews, it’s a polished, professional, respectful demeanor. This is what I expect of my leaders, why should i accept otherwise? I already know what this board is going to say and it absolutely incenses me.

Are you open to admitting that Lanning was a dickbag when he said "we play for wins, not clicks" on the same game in which the Ducks were introducing rainbow, temperature activated shoes?

And after beating the stuffing out of the Buffs, Lanning said, "we prepared for a battle, but didn't get one." Keeping in mind the ducks were over 20 point favorites in that game. What kind of dick denigrates a team he just whupped? What's your take on Lanning? How open are you to calling a spade a spade?

And you brought up nebraska coaches. Obviously, we don't love anybody associated with the nebraska program. However, we generally celebrated Pelini's clashes with the press. And I personally was a Riley fan (even before he started losing) and used to say how hard it was for me that somebody I respected coached at nebraska. I don't remember getting a lot of pushback on that.

Prime seems pretty slow to anger, and even in this case he said, "let's work this out". So my impression is that he was responding to something larger than a CBS hit-piece in this case. Does Prime sometimes say things that make me a little uncomfortable? Sure. However, in my eyes, he has earned the benefit of the doubt around his intentions.

I think the pushback you're encountering is because Prime does/says some great things for our team and community, and he appears to do them for the right reasons. But in my opinion, the media don't typically portray him accurately or fairly.
Of course, he was "playing for clicks" just by saying that. Oregon has been the #1 "playing for clicks" program in the nation for more than 2 decades. See? It's not hard to keep it real. My entire ego isn't based off of "my" football team.

How would you guys feel if the Ducks came into Folsom and started scuffing up Ralphie and the CU at the 50 yard line? You'd have ****ing conniption fits. And THEN how would you guys feel if the son of the head coach at Oregon said he was going to beat Oregon coaches up? And THEN how would you feel, after all that, when Colorado had more first downs than Oregon had yards in the first half? You guys would go ape**** with rage, Oregon would never ever hear the end of it.

Of course, he was "playing for clicks" just by saying that. Oregon has been the #1 "playing for clicks" program in the nation for more than 2 decades. See? It's not hard to keep it real. My entire ego isn't based off of "my" football team.

How would you guys feel if the Ducks came into Folsom and started scuffing up Ralphie and the CU at the 50 yard line? You'd have ****ing conniption fits. And THEN how would you guys feel if the son of the head coach at Oregon said he was going to beat Oregon coaches up? And THEN how would you feel, after all that, when Colorado had more first downs than Oregon had yards in the first half? You guys would go ape**** with rage, Oregon would never ever hear the end of it.
So this is your deal then, not ours. Thanks for helping me understand.

Do you remember any posters here supporting what the Buffs did pregame in Autzen? You seem to be accusing us of being incapable of criticizing our team, but I remember being pretty critical on the boards here.

And to be clear, if the son of the Oregon HC said he was going to beat up the Oregon coaches I’d be amused, not enraged.

You’re fighting an odd battle on this one.

Are you the hypocrite police? Calling out football fans? Must be exhausting.

You still seem unwilling to hold your own coach accountable for his behavior.

So this is your deal then, not ours. Thanks for helping me understand.

Do you remember any posters here supporting what the Buffs did pregame in Autzen? You seem to be accusing us of being incapable of criticizing our team, but I remember being pretty critical on the boards here.

And to be clear, if the son of the Oregon HC said he was going to beat up the Oregon coaches I’d be amused, not enraged.

You’re fighting an odd battle on this one.

Are you the hypocrite police? Calling out football fans? Must be exhausting.

You still seem unwilling to hold your own coach accountable for his behavior.
I literally just did you idiot.

agree. And I’ve already been flame-sprayed for this, but I still feel like in public presentations, there should be a different demeanor than you have with your team. As a senior military leader, I’ve had to do that for the better part of my career. When I’m with my command/sqdrn/wharever, I’m a crass, talk in movie quotes, sarcastic, and I inject humor into everything. When I give speeches, press conferences, or interviews, it’s a polished, professional, respectful demeanor. This is what I expect of my leaders, why should i accept otherwise? I already know what this board is going to say and it absolutely incenses me.
I think you're discounting how different the organizational missions are, making the necessary tactical approach vastly different.

Prime is leading a sports entertainment property and inherited an under-resourced, tired brand on life support. As important as it is that he's a real life Apollo Creed as a supremely confident and hard working motivator, mentor, competitor, community leader, and brilliant businessman - it's equally important that he's Apollo Creed the showman at the promotional gigs, press conferences and whenever the cameras are rolling. I don't think it works without that showman component, given where we were.

Could it be just that he basically ran off 50 +/- players, the way he did it, that he’s brash, outspoken and isn’t very press friendly?

I mean, I love the guy and think he’s a Godsend. He saved the program at a critical time in college football. But you can’t start calling reporters racist if they are critical.
Compare the general response to Lane Kiffin and Lincoln Riley who both used transfers at unprecedented levels before Prime did it too. The coverage was critical and there were raised eyebrows, but it wasn't the same.

Break out of the mindset of, "is this reporter or that reporter categorically, undeniably racist?"

Race plays a role in how he is covered. It's not the sole determining factor, and a lot of it is unconscious bias.

If Bronco Mendenhall encouraged the 50+ guys who were borderline Go5 talents to transfer out it would have been reported on, but not like it was with Deion.

Big personalities are love it or hate it. Deion is big personality in a field that has largely been filled with outwardly boring people. Media coverage is influenced by clicks and controversial content gets them. Combine that factor with someone trying to change the nature of CFB and you get the media attention Prime gets.

Yes, mostly.

I think you're getting at a good point but the bolded goes too far.

An obvious counter-example would be, "I'd like him more if he wasn't so MAGA"

I think you're getting at a good point but the bolded goes too far.

An obvious counter-example would be, "I'd like him more if he wasn't so MAGA"
Think behavior, not beliefs. Not that one does not influence the other, but there is a difference.

If you're describing a behavior that does not itself have a negative impact on others, and you would "be fine with" members of some social group if they behaved more like your group, you may want to examine that reaction.

Eg, "Brash," "Cocky," "Loud," etc, etc - are all used to describe cultural behaviors that deviate from WASPy puritanism - those may not be coming from a non-racist place.

Deion has a little Muhammad Ali in him.

I don't know how old you guys are - but when i was a kid Muhammad Ali was at his peak of notoriety. Outspoken, could be combative with the media, and polarizing figure. Some people loved him and some hated him because he was different than those that came before him.

He was pretty honest and willing to say things other wouldn't.

When he refused to serve in the military and was asked why - among other things he said I have nothing against the Vietnamese, nobody in Vietnam every call me N****

Honest, accurate, fair, and something that probably needed to said but nobody was saying it.

The Ali analogy occurred to me last year when Deion was asked about the kids moving schools just to get more money. He said why is everybody criticizing kids for chasing money - that's what adults are doing. Look at all the schools chasing and changing conferences to get more money. Schools are chasing money too so don't criticize kids.

Honest, accurate, fair, and something that probably needed to be said but nobody was saying it.

I'm not saying he's as iconic as Ali- I'm saying there's an element or Ali in Deion and it's an element that some people appreciate, find refreshing, or dislike.

Deion has a little Muhammad Ali in him.

I don't know how old you guys are - but when i was a kid Muhammad Ali was at his peak of notoriety. Outspoken, could be combative with the media, and polarizing figure. Some people loved him and some hated him because he was different than those that came before him.

He was pretty honest and willing to say things other wouldn't.

When he refused to serve in the military and was asked why - among other things he said I have nothing against the Vietnamese, nobody in Vietnam every call me N****

Honest, accurate, fair, and something that probably needed to said but nobody was saying it.

The Ali analogy occurred to me last year when Deion was asked about the kids moving schools just to get more money. He said why is everybody criticizing kids for chasing money - that's what adults are doing. Look at all the schools chasing and changing conferences to get more money. Schools are chasing money too so don't criticize kids.

Honest, accurate, fair, and something that probably needed to be said but nobody was saying it.

I'm not saying he's as iconic as Ali- I'm saying there's an element or Ali in Deion and it's an element that some people appreciate, find refreshing, or dislike.
We're 35.

I don't like that prime wouldn't answer questions. I think he should have just to spite that guy and then smile at him and say bless your heart.

I'm going to ignore all of the media attention and see what the scoreboard says this season.

Deion Sanders Sport GIF by Coach Prime

Plus the fake 'my man' comment was totally off putting, cringe worthy and maybe even a bit racist too.
And in Neeleys video you can see Keeler made a incredibly smug smirk when he said it. He knows what he's doing. The Denver legacy media is a joke. They carry the water for half ass professional teams/ownership like the Rockies and **** on CU football for 25 years and then pearl clutch when CU becomes the hottest media ticket in town since the PFM broncos and the program doesn't give them all the insider access just because they feel entitled to it. They can't bitch and say the program is acting too big for local media because they give better access to little ol' DNVR and now Adam and even Brian (because trust).

I don't recall much push back when Kiffin called out Paul Finebaum a couple weeks ago.
Nah. Maybe in this instance now he didn't get push back, but Kiffin got treated pretty ****ty by the media back in the USC days. I remember him catching a lot of flack for things he said/did, and the way the media portrayed it got most of the county to pretty actively root against the guy. It wasn't until more recently when everyone realized some of the **** he says and tweets is hilarious, and players like him, that the Overton window shifted on him and his schtick is viewed as funny/entertaining.

And in Neeleys video you can see Keeler made a incredibly smug smirk when he said it. He knows what he's doing. The Denver legacy media is a joke. They carry the water for half ass professional teams/ownership like the Rockies and **** on CU football for 25 years and then pearl clutch when CU becomes the hottest media ticket in town since the PFM broncos and the program doesn't give them all the insider access just because they feel entitled to it. They can't bitch and say the program is acting too big for local media because they give better access to little ol' DNVR and now Adam and even Brian (because trust).

Nah. Maybe in this more, but Kiffin got treated pretty ****ty by the media back in the USC days. I remember him catching a lot of flack for things he said/did, and the way the media portrayed it got most of the county to pretty actively root against the guy. It wasn't until more recently when everyone realized some of the **** he says and tweets is hilarious, and players like him, that the Overton window shifted on him and his schtick is viewed as funny/entertaining.
The CFB world loses the pirate, so more focus on Kiffin for comedic relief in the ****show madness that is modern CFB?

I don't like that prime wouldn't answer questions. I think he should have just to spite that guy and then smile at him and say bless your heart.

I'm going to ignore all of the media attention and see what the scoreboard says this season.

Deion Sanders Sport GIF by Coach Prime
Why should he, or anyone, entertain complete hacks? Sports "journalists" are far too entitled.

Seconding Nik here.

Deion is unapologetically black, it's a huge difference in the way people's subconscious biases play out.

Not sure with this reporter or this instance, but in a broad generalization Deion gets more criticism as a result of how he looks, talks, and dresses. Much of that is heavily influenced by race.
To me, it sounds racist to call CP "unapologetically black." I don't think all African Americans are as brash, prideful, and outspoken as CP. I think he is just unapologetically Deion.

Back