What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

Oregon's AD was placed on probation for two years in 2018 for level 2 violations...they could be in big trouble.

Ah! Thanks. Maybe a link would’ve helped. I had no clue Utah had been hand slapped.

Utah put on probation
Yeah. And to put it in perspective, Utah getting slapped is equivalent to if you got pulled over and issued a ticket for going 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway after having dealt with being constantly passed and cut off during your drive while seeing none of those other drivers pulled over.

Yeah. And to put it in perspective, Utah getting slapped is equivalent to if you got pulled over and issued a ticket for going 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway after having dealt with being constantly passed and cut off during your drive while seeing none of those other drivers pulled over.
Nik! That is an awesome analogy! Haha.

Haha excellent! Dare I go quite literal and suggest one of those drivers, sean miller, err i mean a used car dealer in a blue and red car is posting selfies of himself skulling $100k bottles of champagne while driving directly to the cop that pulled you over and swerves on away while utah recieves the slap onthe wrist.

I get that it’s hard to connect the dots without the FBI’s evidence, but I don’t know how you can have such blatant evidence that Zion and his family wanted big money and perks but Duke is not even part of the conversation. It’s obviously not just Duke, but how does the NCAA not turn their investigation to the teams where some of these players went after walking away from the Adidas scheme?

Sorry in advance for the ESPIN article.
According to a transcript of the call, which Moore read in court, Townsend told Code, "Hey, but between me and you, you know, [Williamson's stepfather Lee Anderson] asked about some stuff. You know? And I said, 'Well, we'll talk about that after you decide.'

"And then Mr. Code says: 'I know what he's asking for,'" Moore continued. "... 'He's asking for opportunities from an occupational prospective. He's asking for money in the pocket. And he's asking for housing for him and the family.'

I get that it’s hard to connect the dots without the FBI’s evidence, but I don’t know how you can have such blatant evidence that Zion and his family wanted big money and perks but Duke is not even part of the conversation. It’s obviously not just Duke, but how does the NCAA not turn their investigation to the teams where some of these players went after walking away from the Adidas scheme?

Sorry in advance for the ESPIN article.

I think Duke is part of the conversation, even if not to the extent that you and others want it to be. First, it wasn't part of the original list of alleged cheaters, so I think media outlets and some of the general fanbase gave Duke a pass to an extent. Second, Coach K is known as a strict disciplinarian, so cheating seems beneath him. I know my handle may make you want to have an instant rebuttal, but I'm not saying Duke shouldn't be part of the conversation - just giving you reasons why.

When this story broke, the Duke boards of course had some defensive fans, but there were also threads and posts about whether or not college sports should exist and the potential about our own guilt, particularly around Capel. I would not be surprised if Capel is found guilty of payments, and he is put on probation, not Duke. I also personally think Cal "outed" Duke for its cheating in an interview, where he said not all schools like Duke can just promise huge paying jobs after playing. I tend to think that's how Duke cheats in a way K knows about - promises kids to be taken care of after playing through its rich alumni network. I think any other cheating, the assistants do in a manner to protect K. ALL speculation on my part.

NCAA needs drastic, sweeping change targeting all programs, and the NBA needs to be part of the answer. KU, Arizona, Duke, etc. will not be truly affected through probations.

Kansas expected to be informed of major infractions. Wichita State gets the death penalty because of its association with KU (being in the same state is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with harshly in order to set the proper example).

Coach K and his entire staff cheat. He definitely knows about all of it.
I believe there's a lot to what @dyemeduke was trying to say, though. It's a different type of cheating based on "we'll take care of you and set you up for long-term success in life" as opposed to most other programs that promise a quick windfall. Coach K, like Bobby Knight was, hates certain types of cheating that amounts to buying players. But he would see it as doing the right thing to make it so that all the resources he can bring to bear are used to ensure that the kids he recruits are taken care of by boosters once their playing days are over.

I believe there's a lot to what @dyemeduke was trying to say, though. It's a different type of cheating based on "we'll take care of you and set you up for long-term success in life" as opposed to most other programs that promise a quick windfall. Coach K, like Bobby Knight was, hates certain types of cheating that amounts to buying players. But he would see it as doing the right thing to make it so that all the resources he can bring to bear are used to ensure that the kids he recruits are taken care of by boosters once their playing days are over.

I think all this is true... up to the point of K hiring Jeff Capel.

This is very idealistic for people to think. He buys players. I don;t understand why Coach K is held high on a pedestal.

Yeah, I'm sure none of the other programs, like North Carolina, do. I don't know that you can compete with the blue bloods being squeaky clean.
Yes. They all cheat. Mt point is that people that say Coach K does it the right way have their head in the sand.

This is very idealistic for people to think. He buys players. I don;t understand why Coach K is held high on a pedestal.
It likely is idealistic. It's probably worse than what I want to believe, but K has been doing this a long time with the highest of stakes while under a microscope. There's barely been a hint that Duke is considered a dirty program. I do think that they're among the "good guys" in this relative to peers. I'm prepared to accept that K and Duke aren't such white knights that they're willing to put themselves at a crippling competitive disadvantage in recruiting.

Yes. They all cheat. Mt point is that people that say Coach K does it the right way have their head in the sand.
I think he does a lot of things the right way, but I don't doubt he has to break some bull**** rules. I seriously doubt any serious program doesn't do the same. The NCAA isn't going to cripple one of their cash cows. Comes down to what it always does.

I think all this is true... up to the point of K hiring Jeff Capel.

Fair - I think any Duke fan realizes that recruiting, especially with bigs, was not going as incredible as it is today, and then Capel was hired. He had a past, and K brought him back when his staff's recruiting efforts needed a boost. Recruiting picks up... ...timing is definitely odd.

On the other hand, Capel was a guy that stuck with the program when K was suffering those back issues. Capel went from competing for a chip his freshman season to not making the tourney while being coached by someone other than the legend he committed to. Capel had solid success at VCU prior to the OU period, and he's always been mentioned as a possible successor to K. He had never been on K's staff though, so while the two are close, I'm sure K also wanted to see his coaching abilities/style up close.

Now, of course, my second explanation of events is much kinder due to my obvious bias, even if I think it's fair.

Well, I'm not saying that Duke doesn't cheat. I wouldn't even be surprised if payments with Duke assistants' knowledge, namely Capel, is brought to light. However, based on everything I've followed about the guy, I don't think K would personally condone clear, direct payments to players. My speculation is what I already explained, but sure, I fully admit that my head could be in the sand. I also think though that others, perhaps yourself, need to acknowledge that your disdain for Duke affects your ability to group them into the guilty group without clear evidence, even if there could be smoke with Zion and a few others.

Whether or not my speculation on how Duke cheats (based on Cal's comments at least) is acceptable, wrong but better, or the same, is up to the individual. Regardless, I've thought a lot needs to change for a long time. College sports needs help putting the athletes first, and NCAA is too complicit in the money-grab that they cannot be counted on to fix it. I dont' have all the answers, but pro sports need to be part of the solution.

I’m a Duke fan (not Dye Me’s levels but best friend is a lifelong Duke fan) but they hired Capel and they have had a top 3 recruiting class how many years now? They’re definitely cheating. And good for them. It’s obvious nothing bad happens (or happened depending on how this plays out but I have my doubts) so why not? If you do get caught, don’t self report either. Deny deny deny. Eventually you’ll get UNC’d and everyone moves on.

Coach K: “You coaches better sign the top recruits in the country and I’d better not hear about any cheating to do it!” See. He doesn’t cheat.

Back