What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Finally > Kliavkoff P12 gets it

I know the conference doesn't really give a rat's ass about us-but our return game with AFA is on CBS with Nessler/Danielson (setting the over/under on # of Saban references Danielson can work in at three assuming I'm right) likely calling it.......while we couldn't get the game in Boulder on a network people actually have?

Our TV deals suck.

It's an AFA home game and CBS/CBSSN has a mini-love fest with the MW conference. The fact that CU is the opponent isn't relevant.

It's an AFA home game and CBS/CBSSN has a mini-love fest with the MW conference. The fact that CU is the opponent isn't relevant.

I'd say that they have a love fest with the service academies. Army & Navy's home games are on CBSSN and a good number of AFA's games are on CBSSN.

Wilner's scheduling suggestions, pretty much all of which I tend to agree with. Pac 12 is unfortunately in a position where it needs to get creative in order to generate eyeballs, so early AND late games on big networks, flexibility in non conference scheduling, pod scheduling, and moving the opening week for Pac 12 games to the Sunday before Labor Day instead of Saturday.

Wilner's scheduling suggestions, pretty much all of which I tend to agree with. Pac 12 is unfortunately in a position where it needs to get creative in order to generate eyeballs, so early AND late games on big networks, flexibility in non conference scheduling, pod scheduling, and moving the opening week for Pac 12 games to the Sunday before Labor Day instead of Saturday.

I love all of them (except maybe the pod idea) especially the early and late kickoffs. My perception is that the Western US spends more of their weekends outdoors, because it's awesome out here, and scheduling early / late games allows fans to attend a game and recreate without compromise.

I'd also advocate for the Pac to take over Thursday nights -- its seems the rest of the P5 has bailed on those and there is still a segment of football fans nationwide that prefer CFB to NFL.

my concern w/ the pods is that means likely there won't be as many marquee matchups for CU on a year-to-year basis.

I love all of them (except maybe the pod idea) especially the early and late kickoffs. My perception is that the Western US spends more of their weekends outdoors, because it's awesome out here, and scheduling early / late games allows fans to attend a game and recreate without compromise.

I'd also advocate for the Pac to take over Thursday nights -- its seems the rest of the P5 has bailed on those and there is still a segment of football fans nationwide that prefer CFB to NFL.

my concern w/ the pods is that means likely there won't be as many marquee matchups for CU on a year-to-year basis.
A pod schedule wouldn't change the marquee matchups any more than not guaranteeing a game vs USC every year (which is the only true marquee matchup guaranteed for CU at current). They'd still rotate against Oregon and Washington, which are really the only other marquee teams in the Pac 12. Maybe UCLA if they're good?

I think the main point of the pods would be to maintain and guarantee the local rivalries, mainly the CA schools all playing each other.

A pod schedule wouldn't change the marquee matchups any more than not guaranteeing a game vs USC every year (which is the only true marquee matchup guaranteed for CU at current). They'd still rotate against Oregon and Washington, which are really the only other marquee teams in the Pac 12. Maybe UCLA if they're good?

I think the main point of the pods would be to maintain and guarantee the local rivalries, mainly the CA schools all playing each other.
Sadly, I could do without playing usc every year.

Also, I know “we” want to play a game in SoCal every year for recruiting, but getting our asses beat more often than not, I’m not sure how well that strategy is working out. Maybe the mysterious allure to CU would be better, a la McCartney era.

Also, I know “we” want to play a game in SoCal every year for recruiting, but getting our asses beat more often than not, I’m not sure how well that strategy is working out. Maybe the mysterious allure to CU would be better, a la McCartney era.
It’s less for recruiting than for alumni relations. There were a lot of CU fans at the UCLA game last year, and there was a giant Forever Buffs tailgate with RG in attendance and a TV set up to watch the hoops game against UNM.

It’s less for recruiting than for alumni relations. There were a lot of CU fans at the UCLA game last year, and there was a giant Forever Buffs tailgate with RG in attendance and a TV set up to watch the hoops game against UNM.
There is no reason not to do some form of pod scheduling to build/ protect rivalry within regions while also ensuring everyone gets a trip to a paired rival locale every year.

With 12 teams, pods for CU should look like this:

(3) Utah, UA, ASU every year
(4) play another pod for 4 years (CA or NW)
(2) play 1/2 another pod for 2 years; other 1/2 the next 2 years

We wouldn't get a trip to So Cal every year, but we would in 6/8 years.

I would not mind having one extra NW game and one less Cali game per season on CU's schedule.

Ive posted articles from LA Times that shows HSAA activities participation increasing YoY. Except in Football where YoY participation has been dropping. California has produced fewer blue chips each year as well. Its not the recruiting hot bed it once was. What recruits there are get gobbled up by the schools in state before we come along.

Ive posted articles from LA Times that shows HSAA activities participation increasing YoY. Except in Football where YoY participation has been dropping. California has produced fewer blue chips each year as well. Its not the recruiting hot bed it once was. What recruits there are get gobbled up by the schools in state before we come along.
I’m just saying, if for some reason they came to watch us play, say USC (ever), what would make them think “yeah, CU. That place looks legit!”

I’m just saying, if for some reason they came to watch us play, say USC (ever), what would make them think “yeah, CU. That place looks legit!”
Right now? There is not much. A lot of these kids say they just want a vehicle that gives them a chance to get to the NFL. They dont care about Boulder or the Flat Irons. Its about the coach the system and the teammates.

We cant check any of the boxes.

BUT the decline of California prep football does still hurt because Its in our footprint and now there are simply less players to go around.

Question is did Kilavkoff really get it after all or is that on the P12 presidents & chancellors? I’m going with the latter in this case.

What could have been done in this case was simply shut the P12N down and let everyone pursue their own media rights deals. When I initially saw those deals for the Dodgers & Lakers back then, I knew the P12 was in trouble because that is when USC & UCLA came to the realization that they were leaving a lot of money on the table even if they got the original P12 revenue plan which called for them to get more than everyone else.

Without knowing the financial penalties that USC & UCLA would get from backing out of the B1G, I’d let ESPN take charge of the P12N and put the P12N on ESPN+. Also let Disney buy out Fox’s share of the P12 media rights deal for this year and next year. Give Disney exclusive negotiating rights. Then tell USC & UCLA they are free to seek their own media rights deal going forward. If USC & UCLA can get a third tier rights deal for 10 years and $1B each, the move to the B1G isn’t happening. Keep the first & second tier pay the same for everyone else in the P12 and that conference is good for another decade. If USC & UCLA were to get $5M more per season and assuming that all the other P12 schools are getting $50M for first & second tier rights, this could really put USC & UCLA out of each for Fox & B1G for a long time.

Texas could kick the tires to see if they can get a similar third tier rights deal. It’s not too late for them to back out of the SEC. Norte Dame could look into something similar. Local sports media countries could get those deals and sell those rights in sports packages in addition to a stand alone streaming option for $10 per month. Assuming there are 1M year around subscribers, that $1B for ten years will already be paid for. The rest is gravy. That is what USC & UCLA can do.

This is a nuclear option that the P12 could use but I don’t think the P12 leaders are smart enough to think about that.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Question is did Kilavkoff really get it after all or is that on the P12 presidents & chancellors? I’m going with the latter in this case.

What could have been done in this case was simply shut the P12N down and let everyone pursue their own media rights deals. When I initially saw those deals for the Dodgers & Lakers back then, I knew the P12 was in trouble because that is when USC & UCLA came to the realization that they were leaving a lot of money on the table even if they got the original P12 revenue plan which called for them to get more than everyone else.

Without knowing the financial penalties that USC & UCLA would get from backing out of the B1G, I’d let ESPN take charge of the P12N and put the P12N on ESPN+. Also let Disney buy out Fox’s share of the P12 media rights deal for this year and next year. Give Disney exclusive negotiating rights. Then tell USC & UCLA they are free to seek their own media rights deal going forward. If USC & UCLA can get a third tier rights deal for 10 years and $1B each, the move to the B1G isn’t happening. Keep the first & second tier pay the same for everyone else in the P12 and that conference is good for another decade. If USC & UCLA were to get $5M more per season and assuming that all the other P12 schools are getting $50M for first & second tier rights, this could really put USC & UCLA out of each for Fox & B1G for a long time.

Texas could kick the tires to see if they can get a similar third tier rights deal. It’s not too late for them to back out of the SEC. Norte Dame could look into something similar. Local sports media countries could get those deals and sell those rights in sports packages in addition to a stand alone streaming option for $10 per month. Assuming there are 1M year around subscribers, that $1B for ten years will already be paid for. The rest is gravy. That is what USC & UCLA can do.

This is a nuclear option that the P12 could use but I don’t think the P12 leaders are smart enough to think about that.
All we have to do is keep USC and UCLA, then grab ND and Texas?

All we have to do is keep USC and UCLA, then grab ND and Texas?

Plus we have to find someone willing to give USC and UCLA 100 million each a season to show a football game like UCLA v Fresno (good case) or UCLA v Cal Poly (bad case) and some basketball games that against canon fodder opponents. But his logic seems to be that media companies will be lining up to do so because one of the premier baseball teams and one of the premier sports teams worldwide managed to cash in on their local media rights, which consist of like 60+ games a year for the Lakers and 140+ games a year for the Dodgers.

Plus we have to find someone willing to give USC and UCLA 100 million each a season to show a football game like UCLA v Fresno (good case) or UCLA v Cal Poly (bad case) and some basketball games that against canon fodder opponents. But his logic seems to be that media companies will be lining up to do so because one of the premier baseball teams and one of the premier sports teams worldwide managed to cash in on their local media rights, which consist of like 60+ games a year for the Lakers and 140+ games a year for the Dodgers.
He is the PAC MAN, you know.

I assume that, just as it happened with UT/OU/SEC/ESPN, the USC/UCLA meetings were orchestrated months ago, have been ongoing, and confidentiality was maintained so well that everyone who wasn't a party was completely blindsided. Not even most of the B1G members would have had anyone in the know.

How much fun would it be to sit in on the next meetings involving the presidents?
USC's pres: "I blah blah blah"
WSU's pres: "No one cares what you think...back stabbing prick"
UCLA's pres: "We agree with USC"
OSU's pres: "Do you honestly believe anyone in this room is going to believe a word coming out of your mouth?
CU's pres: "Aaa I got nothing"

How much fun would it be to sit in on the next meetings involving the presidents?
USC's pres: "I blah blah blah"
WSU's pres: "No one cares what you think...back stabbing prick"
UCLA's pres: "We agree with USC"
OSU's pres: "Do you honestly believe anyone in this room is going to believe a word coming out of your mouth?
CU's pres: *stares blankly amongst the commotion*
FIFY

Replaced by the BIG10 or BIG12 after dark?
Makes you wonder how the B1 is going to deal with the time zone.
Viewers are selective..their fav team first then the rest (like me). If theOSU is your favorite team scheduled to play SC in LA I guarantee that game isn't going to start at 10:00 am or 8:30 pm.
The few B1 people I know think it's going to funny when either of the two have to play a true tundra game...I tell them for some reason we never had a blizzard when either came to Boulder maybe you'll have better luck weather wise than we did.

Last edited:

With the sports they have, one school’s home game inventory would go over 100 games per season. Football, two basketball teams, softball, baseball, etc. $9.99 per month or $99.99 per and getting to 1 million subs would be doable from that state alone. They do have alumni spread out not only here in the US but the world too. Around $100M per year just from streaming alone just for third tier rights. First & second tier combined deals could top that.

Why don’t you write a paper on the disaster that is the P12N?

Back