What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

What do you think about this set-up ?

The Big 8 Division: Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech. (Reuniting Colorado with some old Big 8/Big 12 rivals is a fun twist, plus it kind of works out geographically.)

The Pac-8 Division: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU (or maybe Boise State, if the Cougars want to remain independent), Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Washington and Washington State.

Would this new conference generate enough interest/tv revenue?
Oregon and Washington aren't sticking around if the CA schools bolt. And **** no to the rest of that. That's a G5 conference.

The Big 8 Division: Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech. (Reuniting Colorado with some old Big 8/Big 12 rivals is a fun twist, plus it kind of works out geographically.)

The Pac-8 Division: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU (or maybe Boise State, if the Cougars want to remain independent), Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Washington and Washington State.

I think you need to consider San Diego State above Boise State and BYU.

sigh....if that's what happens then **** me unless schools from said conference can still get into playoffs
There will be no playoff teams from that conference. Not when the SEC #6 team is still out there.

Either PAC stays together (or expands) or whole PAC merges with B1G or CU football is done as a member of big boy football. Stick a fork in us.

There will be no playoff teams from that conference. Not when the SEC #6 team is still out there.

Either PAC stays together (or expands) or whole PAC merges with B1G or CU football is done as a member of big boy football. Stick a fork in us.

yes, this is the conclusion i have also reached. unless by some miracle, the big 10 decides at this time that it only wants to expand a little and they take CU and another school to get to 16.

puff.puff. pass.

Go Buffs!

Big 10 essentially has to raid the ACC to catch the SEC in revenues. Otherwise it is all pointless.

But only one group has billions on the line. Sure, colleges do to, but in a different way in a system that grew organically. And colleges are presumably in the business of education. NFL owners are in the business of raking in truckloads of cash.
It’s crazy, I haven’t been to an NFL game since Dec ‘88 - playoffs between LA Rams and Vikings. I don’t remember the game at all.

No. That's awful. If you're the B1G and you want to go west, go big. Not just UCLA/USC.

I'm confused by your conflicting desires. If you want CFB fans to stay loyal to their alma mater, the SEC schools (D-league or not) will still be getting their funding. So where is the loss of money stemming from?
I don't have data to back it, but i perceive that the SEC schools are more dependant on Wal Mart fans than the other P5 conferences. If they stop showing up, and their great big stadiums are half empty, not only will they lose that ticket and merch revenue, but the BMD alumni will likely lose interest as well.

I worry that this might be a best case scenario. I see a situation where we don't have a home if the California schools bail. I have a hard time believing that Washington and Oregon wouldn't leave to the BIG and leave Stanford and Cal behind. We will see.

I don't have data to back it, but i perceive that the SEC schools are more dependant on Wal Mart fans than the other P5 conferences. If they stop showing up, and their great big stadiums are half empty, not only will they lose that ticket and merch revenue, but the BMD alumni will likely lose interest as well.

Those stadiums will not be half empty.

UT & OU will be in the SEC next season. The courts will sort out the exit fees. OU’s endowment is $1.75B and the school can always loan the AD that money knowing the AD’s media revenues will at least double and game revenue is going up for sure. Not a hard decision for those people.

The health of the NFL is tied directly to having a pipeline of players and popularity of the sport across all regions. Pee Wee football participation is way, way down. High school participation is down, but more so in some areas than others. The sport has largely been abandoned in the northeast. It’s not faring particularly well out west. Concentrating the college game as a regional sport played in the southeast is not good for the game. Realignment, in my opinion, will likely contribute to further regionalization of the game. And when other regions are not invested, they lose interest. Does anyone really think Colorado and it’s surrounding states are ever going to produce the talent that’s coming into Alabama, Georgia, Florida? It’s laughable. And when all the cash and talent gets concentrated into16 schools (really 10) in the southeast, you have a regional sport. Couple that with issues in how TV and sports are consumed (or rather the highly fractured market), there are problems ahead.

Not just the Southeast, it's also big in the Midwest, i.e. the B1G.

Not just the Southeast, it's also big in the Midwest, i.e. the B1G.

Ohio State is good at football. The BIG is still immensely popular.

High school football participation in Ohio? Still declining. I think 7th year in a row.

Ohio State recruiting? #1 ranked class so far by 247. Currently have 16 commits. Nine of them (56%) from the south. Only four (25%) from the Midwest.

Those stadiums will not be half empty.
Agree. At least not anytime soon.

However, Southerners are easily distracted when it comes to entertainment. I'm shocked at how quickly they bailed on NASCAR. They used to pack tracks like Charlotte and Daytona with 180k. They haven't sold out a single race in close to 15 years.

Agree. At least not anytime soon.

However, Southerners are easily distracted when it comes to entertainment. I'm shocked at how quickly they bailed on NASCAR. They used to pack tracks like Charlotte and Daytona with 180k. They haven't sold out a single race in close to 15 years.

That one is on NASCAR. They were making money hand over fist in the 90's and early 2000's and got arrogant and abandoned traditional tracks and race dates trying to attract new fans which saw the sport as nothing more than a fad and quickly moved on to the next hot trend. Then it was format changes, gimmicks, the COT and things just got worse. They lost their way.

And they will say that some tracks have sold out their races recently but that's only because these tracks have removed a substantial portion of their seating.

That one is on NASCAR. They were making money hand over fist in the 90's and early 2000's and got arrogant and abandoned traditional tracks and race dates trying to attract new fans which saw the sport as nothing more than a fad and quickly moved on to the next hot trend. Then it was format changes, gimmicks, the COT and things just got worse. They lost their way.

And they will say that some tracks have sold out their races recently but that's only because these tracks have removed a substantial portion of their seating.
Agree 100%.

And..... I believe big time college football is losing its way

Back